Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Redistributable Intel MPI

AJ_G
Beginner

We are using Intel MPI with our application. on our dev boxes We have the oneAPI toolkits installed. When using mpiexec there everything works. After our build we package up a zip up what we think we need to run tests on. On Windows we are having an issue where we are getting a failure on the tests systems not our dev boxes. I know Intel MPI install use to have a redist.txt to know what to include. 

Is there a list of required files needed for redistributable?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

Could you please provide the following details to investigate it further:

1. Intel oneAPI toolkit version and Intel MPI Library version

2. The CPU, Operating system and hardware details of the systems that you have used to build package and execute tests

3. Please specify the package you are zipping and please provide the test cases as well.

4, The version of Intel MPI where you found redist.txt

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
AJ_G
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the response. 

We figured out how to get this to work from the zip we create. however still want to confirm what we can redistribute.

1.Intel MPI version 2021.7.0

2. Intel CPU, Windows, just a basic machine.

3. We are zipping up our build which includes the mpi bin folder. impi.dll is located next to our exe.

4. I said it use to have a redist.txt, I didn't find one.

After some digging we found that we were missing the \libfabric\bin\ files needed to be copied over to our zip. Reading the licening.txt we think this is ok.

To confirm on the redistribute side thoes files are all needed and are redistributable? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to know that you were able to get the zip to work.

I apologize for causing confusion.

>>>2. Intel CPU, Windows, just a basic machine

Could you provide the output of cpuinfo if the machines tried on was windows and lscpu if it was Linux. 

>>>We are zipping up our build which includes the mpi bin folder. impi.dll is located next to our exe.

Could you please share your build and the test cases, we would require them to escalate these details to the concerned development teams to answer your questions.

>>> I said it use to have a redist.txt, I didn't find one.

I apologize for the confusion. We are inquiring in which version of Intel MPI Library you were able to find redist.txt because current 2021.10 IMPI doesn't have the file and so does 2021.7.0 as stated by you?

>>>To confirm on the redistribute side thoes files are all needed and are redistributable? 

We will confirm this with the concerned development team. We will get back to you soon. Meanwhile could you please provide the requested details so that we could provide them to the concerned development team.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
AJ_G
Beginner

Hi,

Since our application is working, I can update you on some question. However, I am more intrested in what can be redistributed from Intel MPI and verify that part.

>>> 2. cpuinfo
Intel(R) processor family information utility, Version 2021.10 Build 20230619
Copyright (C) 2005-2023 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

===== Processor composition =====
Processor name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6242R
Packages(sockets) : 2
Cores : 7
Processors(CPUs) : 14
Cores per package : 3
Threads per core : 2

===== Processor identification =====
Processor Thread Id. Core Id. Package Id.
0 0 0 0
1 0 1 0
2 0 2 0
3 0 3 0
4 0 4 0
5 0 5 0
6 0 6 0
7 0 0 1
8 0 1 1
9 0 2 1
10 0 3 1
11 0 4 1
12 0 5 1
13 0 6 1
===== Placement on packages =====
Package Id. Core Id. Processors
0 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 0,1,2,3,4,5,6
1 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 7,8,9,10,11,12,13

===== Cache sharing =====
Cache Size Processors
L1 32 KB no sharing
L2 1 MB no sharing
L3 35 MB (0,1,2,3,4,5,6)(7,8,9,10,11,12,13)

>>> We are zipping up our build which includes the mpi bin folder. impi.dll is located next to our exe. 

I don't know if we can send that over at this time. I would have to check. This should be needed as i am looking for what can be redistributed from Intel MPI. 

>>> I said it use to have a redist.txt, I didn't find one.

This would be a intel mpi from around the 2015 2016 time frame. I don't have an exact version I just remember it having a redist.txt sorry about not making that clear.

I will wait on the response for the development team on the what can be redist.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the requested details. We will reach out to you soon.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

The libraries needed/required for your application to work with Intel MPI is dependent on your software's requirements and use case. Here are some examples: to utilize core functionality of mpi, you'd need impi.dll, for benchmarking / utilizing fabric provider you'd need impi.dll, mpi.dll, mpirt.dll, libfabric.dll, etc, to utilize OpenMP threading, you'd need to include libiomp5.dll and for utilizing Math Kernel Library, you'd need libmmd.dll.

One of the way for checking the dependencies of an executable on Windows platform is executing dumpbin in Intel oneAPI command prompt for Visual Studio, on the Linux platform it can be done with the help of ldd. Please note, these are just examples, not a recommendation, feel free to use any tool that serves your needs, based on the platform and your choice.

Regarding redist.txt, Yes, it was being shipped with Intel MPI earlier, but it was removed when Intel MPI license was changed to ISSL (Intel Simplified Software License) and was released as a binary only library. Currently, all redistribution details are mentioned in the license.txt in $I_MPI_ROOT/licensing. As stated in the license, you may use and redistribute the software, which is provided in binary form only, without modification, provided the conditions in the license are met. Please make sure that you go though the license agreement fully to understand all the details.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We have not heard from you. Could you please confirm if we can close this thread if your question has been answered?

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
BLH
Beginner

Yes, you can close this thread.

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi @BLH 

We would require confirmation from @AJ_G to close this thread.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
AJ_G
Beginner

It can be closed

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Upon your confirmation, we are closing this thread. This thread is no longer monitored by Intel, if you have any additional queries you can post a new question in the community. Also, please accept this as a solution as it would help other users with a similar issues.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos