Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2169 Discussions

VS 2022 crash after removing a source file

netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hi,
I would like to share the following, very annoying, behavior I have noticed with recent versions of oneAPI integration into Visual Studio:

I am using Visual Studio 2022 (17.4.4) along with OneAPI 2023.2.

Almost every time I remove a source file from the project in the solution pane and try to rebuild my project, Visual Studio hangs and crashes! After a few seconds it restarts with the same project/solution but sometime still frozen or at least not responding, so it needs to be manually exited to solve the issue.

That's particularly boring!

Is there anything to do to avoid this issue? I did not try to update Visual Studio because I'm afraid to lose OneAPI integration.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can reproduce the issue as described when building with ifort. However, not with IFX.

IFORT is being deprecated see the following note in Intel Fortran Compiler Release Notes:

Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic (ifort) is now deprecated and will be discontinued in late 2024. Intel recommends that customers transition now to using the LLVM-based Intel® Fortran Compiler (ifx) for continued Windows* and Linux* support, new language support, new language features, and optimizations. For more information on ifx, see the Intel® Fortran Compiler Developer Guide and Reference and the Porting Guide for ifort Users to ifx.

Please confirm that the issue is resolved with IFX. 
I have used the following attached sample for testing the crash. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
netphilou31
New Contributor II

To add a comment on my previous message, it seems that if you wait a bit before building, the crash does not happen, however if you build immediately after removing the files, it's very likely to happen.

0 Kudos
VeenaJ_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities!

We have made an attempt to reproduce the reported issue in latest Visual Studio 2022(17.7.6), and here are our observations:

1. Select 'Empty Project' in Fortran

- Compiler Used: Intel Fortran (Ifort)

- Result: A crash occurs.

- Additional Steps:

- Add a source file, compile it, and then delete it.

- Rerun the program.

2. Select 'DPC++ Console' Application

- Compiler Used: Intel DPC++ 2023

- Result: No crash.

- Additional Steps: Replicate the steps mentioned in Point No. 1.

3. Select a standard C++ project

- Compiler Used: MSVC

4. Convert the 'Normal' C++ project to a DPC++ application by right-clicking

- Compiler Used: Intel Compiler

Could you please provide us with the steps you followed to reproduce the issue? Moreover, we would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly explain the use case of this scenario to help us better understand the context.

Regards,

Veena

0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hello Veena,

As explained in my previous messages, I am not exactly sure of the steps to follow to reproduce the crash. In my case I noticed that opening and working with an existing projet/solution, if at some time I need to remove an existing source file which is no more used, pressing "Del" key on that source from the solution panel and building immediately, leads to the crash. If I wait a couple of seconds before building, the crash generally does not happen. I also noticed that if I leave the cursor over the solution panel, I can see that something is done in the background as the cursor shape changes to busy (but not sure if it's the same if the cursor is outside the panel). Please note also that I generally use the BatchBuild option to build all the configurations at once. I don't know if this is something relating to the OneAPI extension in Visual Studio but I also get, from now and then, Visual studio messages warning that the extension si slowing down Visual Studio, asking for deactivating it, that, I guess, I must not do.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
VeenaJ_Intel

Hi,

Could you kindly provide details about your project, such as the programming language it's written in, whether it's Fortran or C++, and the method used for its creation? As mentioned previously, we've been able to replicate the issue in Scenario I, specifically with the Ifort compiler. This information is crucial for us in order to address and resolve the issue effectively.

Regards,

Veena

0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hi,

My project is using Fortran language only and was probably created originally with an old version of COMPAQ Visual Fortran (6.6 if I'm right) and migrated through the various versions of Visual Studio, from 2005, 2010, 2017, 2019 and 2022. However, I don't remember having experienced this issue with previous versions of Visual Studio.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
VeenaJ_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the information; it closely resembles 'Scenario I' mentioned above in the thread. We are working on this internally. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Veena

0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II

Hi Veena,

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
VeenaJ_Intel

Hi,

Kindly note that IFORT is deprecated, and we recommend transitioning to IFX, where the reported crash issue is not reproduced.

Regards,

Veena

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can reproduce the issue as described when building with ifort. However, not with IFX.

IFORT is being deprecated see the following note in Intel Fortran Compiler Release Notes:

Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic (ifort) is now deprecated and will be discontinued in late 2024. Intel recommends that customers transition now to using the LLVM-based Intel® Fortran Compiler (ifx) for continued Windows* and Linux* support, new language support, new language features, and optimizations. For more information on ifx, see the Intel® Fortran Compiler Developer Guide and Reference and the Porting Guide for ifort Users to ifx.

Please confirm that the issue is resolved with IFX. 
I have used the following attached sample for testing the crash. 

0 Kudos