Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

What's "classic"?

ryofurue2
Beginner

A simple question:  What's the "classic" Fortran compiler?  The name implies that there are versions that are not "classic".

I downloaded and installed the Intel Fortran "classic" compiler (m_fortran-compiler-classic_p_2023.2.0.49001_offline.dmg ) on macOS.  But, somebody told me, why not use the OneAPI compiler?  It should be included in the HPC package.

Okay, then, I wiped out the installation (wiped out /opt/intel/ ), downloaded the HPC package (m_HPCKit_p_2023.2.0.49443.dmg ), and installed it.

But, this installer said that it was going to install the "classic" C++ compiler and "classic" Fortran compiler . . .

I'm just concerned: If "classic" is something that will be retired soon, it may not wise to start to use it now.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

The Intel® oneAPI product packages provide two Fortran compilers:

• Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic (ifort) provides best-in-class Fortran language features, including full Fortran 2018 support, along with outstanding performance for Intel® Architecture CPUs.
  • The Intel® Fortran Compiler (ifx) has all of the Fortran language features of ifort, plus the added functionality of OpenMP* directives to offload to Intel GPUs. The OpenMP 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 GPU offload features in ifx are not available in ifort. 

More info can be found from:

Please note that macOS* is not supported for the ifx compiler.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

The Intel® oneAPI product packages provide two Fortran compilers:

• Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic (ifort) provides best-in-class Fortran language features, including full Fortran 2018 support, along with outstanding performance for Intel® Architecture CPUs.
  • The Intel® Fortran Compiler (ifx) has all of the Fortran language features of ifort, plus the added functionality of OpenMP* directives to offload to Intel GPUs. The OpenMP 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 GPU offload features in ifx are not available in ifort. 

More info can be found from:

Please note that macOS* is not supported for the ifx compiler.

ryofurue2
Beginner

Thank you!  That's all that I wanted to know.

0 Kudos