Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

mpitune_fast tuning file

Matthew_Grismer
Beginner

I've run mpitune_fast on our cluster for each of the available benchmarks, and an MPI tuning file was produced for each.  But, it seems like I need to combine them into one file in order to use them  with MPI.  The alternative appears to be to run mpitune_fast for all the benchmarks in one command, but when I tried this it was taking too long for the queues on the system.  Is there a way to combine the individual benchmark tuning files into on tuning file for all the benchmarks?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mahan

Hi Matthew,

In that case you can us the following to merge many tuning files to create a master tuning .dat file

I_MPI_TUNING_BIN=tuned1.dat,tuned2.dat  \

I_MPI_TUNING_BIN_DUMP=./tuned_merged.dat mpirun -n 1 ./dummy_mpi_app

Here, the dummy_mpi_app could be any dummy mpi executable

Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mahan

Hi Matthew,

If you are using mpitune_fast, then it will able to create a merged file for all the mpi applications that you need. This can be done in the following manner, here I am doing it for four mpi functions

mpitune_fast -f ./hostfile -c allreduce,bcast,barrier,reduce

After the run finishes a folder named "tuning_results" will be created which will contain the merged .dat file

Please let me know does this answer your question.

0 Kudos
Matthew_Grismer
Beginner

Unfortunately I cannot run all the applications in one invocation of mpitune_fast (at the scale that I want) because it takes too long for the queues on the machine, i.e. it takes 2 days for the allreduce application alone to run.  So, I ran them all separately, but now have separate .dat files that I would like to merge into one.

0 Kudos
Mahan

Hi Matthew,

In that case you can us the following to merge many tuning files to create a master tuning .dat file

I_MPI_TUNING_BIN=tuned1.dat,tuned2.dat  \

I_MPI_TUNING_BIN_DUMP=./tuned_merged.dat mpirun -n 1 ./dummy_mpi_app

Here, the dummy_mpi_app could be any dummy mpi executable

Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.

0 Kudos