Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2190 Discussions

"Could not find impi.dll" when running a simple MPI either C or Fortran program

qiuck16
New Contributor I

This problem arose when I updated to Visual Studio Community 2022 and Intel oneAPI 2024.0 on Windows 10. I could build a simple MPI C or Fortran program successfully. However, when I ran the program inside Visual Studio, it failed because could not find impi.dll. I can confirm that impi.dll is in the oneAPI install path. The program ran successfully in the Intel oneAPI command prompt.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

Please follow steps listed in this documentation to configure VS project correctly with Intel MPI library: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-windows/2021-11/configuring-a-microsoft-visual-studio-project.html 

Let me know if this helps to resolve this issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This seems to be another fallout of the installation folder reorganization, where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. The system PATH variable contains a folder that should have impi.dll, but that folder doesn't exist. It currently points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\mpirt but the now-correct path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\latest\bin

I guess Intel laid off their QA team.

0 Kudos
qiuck16
New Contributor I

Thanks Dr. Fortran! I wasted three days installing Visual Studio 2022 and Intel oneAPI 204 and then rolling back to Visual Studio 2019 and Intel oneAPI 2023. Could you please file a bug to the development team? Can I workaround this issue by modifying the system PATH?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you are building a 64-bit application, you can add the correct path (above) to PATH and remove the bad one(s).  32-bit coarray support has been removed from the product.

0 Kudos
qiuck16
New Contributor I

@Steve_Lionel @Devorah_H_Intel 

After I add C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\latest\bin to PATH, the program throws the following error:

Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(189)........:
MPID_Init(1561)..............:
MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546):
(unknown)(): Unknown error class
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090191
:
system msg for write_line failure : No error
Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(189)........:
MPID_Init(1561)..............:
MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546):
(unknown)(): Unknown error class
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090191
:
system msg for write_line failure : No error

0 Kudos
qiuck16
New Contributor I

Any workaround now? When will the next update of Intel HPC Toolkit be released?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Sorry, I can't help with the runtime MPI errors. The fix Devorah refers to is about setting PATH, for which I gave you a workaround.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel
Employee

@qiuck16, now that your environment is set up can you please post your MPI runtime failure on the HPC Toolkit Forum? They know MPI best.

They will want to know what version of IMPI, Windows and VS you are using, too. Do you have a small version of your code that shows the error?

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Please follow steps listed in this documentation to configure VS project correctly with Intel MPI library: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-windows/2021-11/configuring-a-microsoft-visual-studio-project.html 

Let me know if this helps to resolve this issue. 

0 Kudos
qiuck16
New Contributor I

I have not tried with the latest oneAPI 2024.0 because I rolled back to VS 2019 and oneAPI 2023.2. My question is, why oneAPI did not set the PATH=$(I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT)\bin\$(ConfigurationName);$(I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT)\libfabric\bin;$(PATH) automatically?

As Byung-Hyun_You pointed out, setting the PATH should resolve the issue.

Re: MPI error on Windows - Intel Community

qiuck16
New Contributor I

Maybe 2023.2 toolkit sets the PATH correctly, however, 2024.0 did not.

0 Kudos