Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2202 Discussions

"Could not find impi.dll" when running a simple MPI either C or Fortran program

qiuck16
New Contributor I

This problem arose when I updated to Visual Studio Community 2022 and Intel oneAPI 2024.0 on Windows 10.

I could build a simple MPI C or Fortran program successfully. However, when I ran the program inside Visual Studio, it failed because could not find impi.dll. I can confirm that impi.dll is in the oneAPI install path.

The program ran successfully in the Intel oneAPI command prompt.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Intel forums.

We see that you've also asked the question in Fortran forum, If the issue is related to incorrect path, then you should be able to work it around by modifying the system path and adding the folder which contains impi.dll. Did you give it a try? What was the result? In the meantime, we'd try to reproduce the issue at our end and if it's reproducible, we'll reach out to Development Team.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

We are working on it and will get back to you soon.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Please follow steps listed in this documentation to configure VS project correctly with Intel oneAPI library: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-windows/2021-11/configuring-a-microsoft-visual-studio-project.html 

Let me know if this helps to resolve this issue. 

0 Kudos