Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

DP FLOPS of intel xeon 5680

fatalme
Beginner
Hi, I have used intel optimized LINPACK benchmark tool and I got a result of 70 GFLOPS on Intel xeon 5680. I think this should be for SP FLOP. Anybody knows the GFLOPS for DP FLOP? And how to calculate the theoretical peak performance for DP FLOP?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Peak DP performance is 3.33x10^9 ticks/sec (if Turbo is disabled) x 4 flops/tick x 12 cores (if HT is disabled) so your performance is a little short of expectation.
0 Kudos
merwin101
Beginner
Quoting TimP (Intel)
Peak DP performance is 3.33x10^9 ticks/sec (if Turbo is disabled) x 4 flops/tick x 12 cores (if HT is disabled) so your performance is a little short of expectation.

Doesn't the formula also hold if hyperthreading is enabled? My understanding is that even with hyperthreading enabled, each core can still execute at most 4 flops per tick, so the formula for peak DP performance in FLOPS is still the same. Hyperthreading only improves performance when there are less than 4 instructions ready for a given thread in a clock cycle, right? Or am I misunderstanding hyperthreading (and if this is the case, is there an additional x2 for hyperthreading, or is the factor something else?)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Sorry, you're right, the Xeon architecture doesn't supply additional floating point resource for hyperthreading.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting fatalme
Hi, I have used intel optimized LINPACK benchmark tool...

[SergeyK] Where could I download it from? Could you give a link, please?

and I got a result of 70 GFLOPS on Intel xeon 5680. I think this should be for SP FLOP. Anybody knows the GFLOPS for DP FLOP? And how to calculate the theoretical peak performance for DP FLOP?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting fatalme
Hi, I have used intel optimized LINPACK benchmark tool...

[SergeyK] Where could I download it from? Could you give a link, please?

That was easy to find:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-linpack-benchmark-download-license-agreement/

0 Kudos