Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

E8500 no hyperthreading

aracrg
Beginner
Hi. I have an Intel E8500 CPU paired up with an Intel DG33BU motherboard, but for some reason I have no access to the CPU's hyperthreading functionality. The BIOS configuration shows no option to enable it, and OSes only see two CPUs.

I've tried upgrading to the latest BIOS version 0572 but it didn't help. Please can someone at Intel help me fix this?

Thanks,
Aragon
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
aracrg
Beginner
Wow, don't know how I missed that. I guess I assumed all Intel chips since the P4 had it. Pardon the noise, and thanks for pointing that out!
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Aracrg,

Not all Intel chips since the P4 have Hyper-Threading. However, most modern high-end CPUs have Hyper-Threading.

As any other CPU feature, it is always convenient to check its specifications before buying.

Cheers,

Gaston
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There are excellent CPUs up to the $1000 category which have no HyperThreading. High end enough for me. Not everyone needs (or can afford) to run Oracle database or to pay extra for HyperThread. I do expect to start up my Pentium D HyperThread box today, but it's no match for this 8500.
0 Kudos