Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Intel Multi-core and Sun JVM

postaquestion
Beginner

Thank you for your material about Java multi-threading programming at http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/229712.htm.

My question is: Do I need to do something with my Java multi-threaded code to coordinate well with Intel Multi-core?

Can the Sun JVMprovidedhelpmy code perform well in multi-core environment? If not, what tips can you offer?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andrey_Chernyshev__I

• Do I need to do something with my Java multi-threaded code to coordinate well with Intel Multi-core?

I don't think one may need to do something special to make multithreaded code run better specifically on the Intel Multi-Core. Java has been designed to keep the applications abstract from the underlying platform, following just the general design principles and practices for writing multithreaded Java applications should be enough.

• Can the Sun JVMprovidedhelpmy code perform well in multi-core environment? If not, what tips can you offer?

Garbage collector (GC) is often believed as one of the most noticeable issues with running multi-threaded Java applications in the multi-core environment. Managing objects in the Java heap imposes a certain synchronization overhead that may substantially degrade the performance of the multi-threaded app. Therefore, it may help if the critical code pieces are designed in such way that they dont put a stress on the GC (e.g. dont allocate new objects wherever possible).

Thanks,

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

The issues like performance of memory management subsystems are solved and are being solved by JVM providers. according to your java i think one issue can appiar. It happens often, that some threadingerrors (dataraces or dead-locks) already are in the code but can not cause an errors in runtime on single-core, but they will happen on multicore at really parallel execution

yegor

0 Kudos