Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Introduce yourself here

David_S_Intel4
Employee
Please share a little something about yourself. It will help us figure out who's participating in this forum and how we can better address your needs.

About me: I'm probably one of the least technical people who will participate here. My background is in communications: in the legal field, working with Ralph Nader and other civil liberties icons, in Intel Boards and Systems manufacturing, supporting Intel's shop floor control program with technical writing and training, and now, on the Intel Developer Services Web site, as editor and owner of Threading, Pentium 4 and Digital Media Developer Centers.

Personal interests include: travel (lots of it-- I've lived in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, India, Thailand, and Malaysia), eastern religion and 'philosophy', and cats. No request for the most up-to-date photos of my cat Binky will be refused :)
Cheers,
Dave
0 Kudos
32 Replies
tomp
Beginner
I'm an applications engineer working primarily on Intel Xeon and Itanium processor families. Both of which can exploit threading through either SMP or Hyper-Threading Technology.

The other 2/3rds of my life are spent in a variety of activities. There are few things I don't enjoy, hence I'm not very good at any of them ;-)

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-09-2005 01:13 PM

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
My experience and background are predominantly technical. I spent my last 15 years working for Intel mainly in the areas of software tools engineering and technical marketing.
In my early years at Intel, I was involved in designing software development toolkits for a wide range of Intel microprocessors and microcontrollers. Early 90s, I started working for Intel videoconference Division, which later morphed itself into a standard based, Intel Internet video phone group. At the dawn of new millennium, I joined Intel developer relations group to become a product evangelist for Intel Itanium Processor and later became an enterprise solution strategist for all Intel enterprise products, especially in the industry segment of financial service and digital media.

Recently, I received the Global Executive MBA degree from The Duke University. In addition, I also hold an MS degree in Computer Science from University of Oregon and an MS degree in Computational Finance from Oregon Graduate Institute.

Like David, I enjoy traveling and meeting with, listening to and learning from people of different backgrounds. I had my educational experience in many parts of the world including Germany, Czech Republic, Brazil, Chile, and of cause my native China in the city of Wuhan, Beijing and Hong Kong.
0 Kudos
ClayB
New Contributor I
Greetings! Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I'm Clay Breshears and I was lucky enough to have been chosen as a host for this Threading Forum. For the past 2 decades I've been involved with parallel programmming and computing in one way or another. I started with some of the early shared memory architectures, saw the rise of distributed memory machines, and have witnessed the resurgence of shared memory along with several different multithreading protocols.

Currently I'm working at the Intel Parallel Applications Center in Champaign, IL (just a stone's throw from Urbana, "birthplace" of the HAL 2000 computer). The PAC engages in projects to add parallelism to applications that range from specialized scientific codes to widely used desktop applications on platforms from Itanium to Xeon to Pentium 3.

For relaxation, I enjoy movies, the music of J.S. Bach, SF, reading and collecting comic books, computer science, and dabbling in stained glass. I'm still interested in chess and go and reading books for pleasure, but there just never seems to be enough time in my days to ever do more than think about those things. :-(

Along my way from then to now, I've taught at universities and enjoy educating and helping others learn about and understand new concepts. I look forward to doing some of that here, too, as well as finding out what ideas and questions you have about programming with threads.

-- clay
0 Kudos
Henry_G_Intel
Employee
Hello. My name is Henry Gabb. I work at the Intel Parallel Applications Center in Champaign, Illinois. The PAC is part of the Intel Parallel and Distributed Solutions Division. The PAC staff are well-versed in the dominant parallel programming methods plus some of the more arcane methods.
I've been doing high-performance computing for over ten years. Before joining Intel I was Director of Scientific Computing at ERDC MSRC, a Department of Defense HPC center. At the time, ERDC MSRC had a Cray C90 (8 processors), a Cray T3E (333 processors), an IBM SP2 (256 processors), and an SGI Origin 2000 (128 processors). At the time, this was a powerful HPC site (roughly 1.5 TFLOPS). Today, individual clusters routinely achievethis level ofperformance.

Personal interests include beer, insanely hot food, and computer games. I like playing Mahjong, Shogi, and Go even though I'm not good at any of them. I like to travel. I did my postdoctoral researchin France (two years atl'Institut de Biologie et Physico-Chimiquein Paris). After that Imoved to England(two years at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund in London). I also received my first formal training in parallel computing at the EMBL in Heidelberg.

Best regards,
Henry

Message Edited by hagabb on 07-02-2004 08:02 AM

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, for the last +7 years I have worked as a Technical Marketing Engineer here at Intel in the Software Solution Group.

I am primarily focused on working with tools vendors (compilers, debuggers, etc.) and assist software developers to take full advantage of Intel Architecture (IA-32 and Itanium processor families). I am well versed in application development on both Windows and Linux.

The other half of my life is dedicated to presenting, reviewing, and writing technical collateral.
0 Kudos
netdevil
Beginner
Hi there,

Looks like I'm the first non-intel person around here :). I am a senior programmer at NetDevil; we make massive multiplayer games. As you can imagine, we have a lot of threading issues to worry about on our servers! We're currently working on a game due to be released at the end of 2004-ish, tentatively called Auto Assault, to be published under NCSoft. To make things fun, this game uses a realtime Physics engine with a full vehicle model (suspensions, gear ratios...). Weeeee! Ready for those questions? :)

As far as me personally, I got my start programming at the ripe old age of 6 on my father's TI 99/4A :). I've come along ways since then, and I've grown to love the lower-level side of coding whenever I have to opportunity to do so. I've been to a lot of places (26 countries) and done a lot of things, from being a soldier to being a CEO. Now I'm having fun in a place that genuinely needs the best server code possible.

I code in a near-exclusive MS environment.. here at NetDevil I'm in charge of the SQL 2k Database development (for which we use a lot of COM) and the NT Services development(which we anticipate running on 4-way Xeon MPs). Together these represent the majority of our server software for the game.

Oh, and out of work I like games from computer to tabletop, and hey I live in Colorado so I like to ski every so often (I learned in Austria :) ).

-Dale
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Wow, a lotta Intel guys. I'm another one. I work with Shuo, and have been dealing with multitasking issues for nigh on 25 years. I'm working with a couple threaded applications right now, and have been working on some tools to better utilize the tools that already exist.

So I thought I'd pop my head in once and a while, lurk where appropriate, and speak up when I think I have something to contribute. Currently most of my work in in the Windows demesne, but I have extensive background in various UNIX flavors, and currently dabble a little with Linux.

Don't get me started about what I do outside of work. You'll never get me to shut up!
0 Kudos
rdwells
Beginner
Chalk up another non-Intel person. I've been working with multithreaded software for about 5 years now (so I'm a relative newcomer around here, it seems!), mainly to do pipelined image processing.

In my spare (?) time, I do a lot of volunteer work for the local Little League organization.

I look forward to learning a bit here, and if I can occasionally fill in the gaps in other folks' knowledge of threading issues, all the better.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm an Application Engineer for Intel in High Performance Computing. Prior to working at Intel, I spent 35 years in turbomachinery aerodynamics, designing compressors and turbines, and adapting CFD codes.

I started in computing before there was C or much consideration of threading. Transitioning software from Fortran II on IBM 7094 and BASIC on GE225.

My remaining tie to aerodynamics is in sailing. I'm all set for the Laser races this evening.
0 Kudos
David_S_Intel4
Employee
Hello NetDevil and welcome!

The multi-player game you mentioned, "Auto Assault," is intriguing. We've published articles about use of the .NET Framework as a delivery mode for massive multiplayer games and the level of interest in threading as it relates to games is quite high.

So, fire away with your questions. I will create a new post to accommodate that conversation.

-Dave
0 Kudos
David_S_Intel4
Employee
rdwells, welcome!

image processing and threading is definitely an area of expertise here. In fact, another Intel engineer (not one of our hosts) recently wrote a couple articles about such use of threading:

Parallel Computing for Imaging Applications and
Tuning Imaging Applications for Hyper-Threading Technology using Intel Threading Tools

I'm going to start a new post we can use to chat about image processing.

Again, Welcome!

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-09-2005 01:12 PM

0 Kudos
tha_kgb
Beginner
I am a software engineer at VitalImages (www.vitalimages.com). Our company produces applications that post process medical imaging data (i.e. CT, MR, PET) for 2D/3D display. We currently run on a WindowsXP/Xeon workstation. Rapidly growing data sets, 3D rendering and advanced processing keep us on our toes ever searching for more speed.

I have spent most of my career in the embedded environment so the Win32/Intel platform as a target is relatively new to me. I have enjoyed the forum discussions and all the great technical support I have received from Intel folks to date. I probably will be more of a consumer to start but as my wife will verify I have no problem adding my .02 when I get comfortable. :)

In my spare time (that not claimed by my job or family or mowing the lawn or shoveling or....) I enjoy most sports. Endurance sports are my current addiction. I plan to sleep when I retire.

Great forum guys!
0 Kudos
o_neuendorf
Beginner
Hello!

I'm Olaf Neuendorf. For more than 10 years I'm working on multithreaded applications in various fields. I started with High performance computing (btw. Intel Paragon), numerical simulation, statistics/physics, visualization etc. Later on I worked on Windows applications, a CRM product and some graphical development.
At the moment I'm writing a book about Windows Multithreading, so I'm very interested in that topic ...

I'm living in Germany, like reading and strategy games.

- Olaf
0 Kudos
bronx
Beginner
Hi everybody !

I'm Eric Bron a project manager in a small software development company based in Italy with some operations in Switzerland. Our (not very complete yet) web site can be found here : www.adeptdevelopment.com. My main focus at the moment is realtime 3D graphics using only CPUs for the rendering.

I'm a big fan of concurrent programming since my 1st encounter with a Commodore Amiga back in the 80s. The recent trend towards on chip multithreading for high volume desktop CPUs like the P4 HT is very exciting for me and I'll be pleased to share some ideas here in the future.

I live in Switzerland and enjoy playing with my kids, swimming, skiing, ping-pong

- Eric

0 Kudos
arnavkumar
Beginner
most of you have a high technical experience with real programs . i am just a student completing his masters degree in computers in India (4th sem , if u really want 2 know) . I love computers and have just learnt multithreading in Java. I find it very intriguing and very interesting .
In my spare time i play badminton and table tennis . i also trek a lot.
0 Kudos
ltabarov
Beginner
My name is Lev Tabarovsky. I am not a professional software developer, yet my entire career is closely related to computers. I work in Geophysics and my beloved occupation is development of numerical techniques and algorithms for modeling electromagnetic fields. I use Fortran - it is fully sufficient for implementing algorithms.

My naive and simple life at the periphery of software oecumenicus ended last year when I started my digital collection of Russian pop-music of the Soviet Era. The collection was rapidly growing (currently, several thousand files) and I decided to write a simple Data Base Management application to keep everything in order. It was the major mistake in my life! Now the code consists of about 50,000 lines. It integrates a lot of different technologies (Windows, Java, DHTML, ActiveX, etc.). But the main framework is done and remains within Fortran. At the moment, I have no intention to get involved with C++ or Visual Basic. I am desperately trying to squeeze everything possible from Fortran. My questions to this Forum are usually intended to stretch Fortran to the limit.
0 Kudos
jseigh2
Beginner
I'm Joe Seigh and I've been doing multi-threaded and lock-free programming for over 20 years.

I co-invented a lock-free algorithm in the mid 80's that was essentially the same as the RCU (Read, Copy, Update) that was recently put into Linux as part of the Linux scalability effort (That stuff should be in public domain by now so if you want to do something like that you do not have to license it from IBM if you don't base it on their latter patents).

Also, I did a lock-free reference counted pointer, atomic_ptr. And in addition, probably the two shortest fifo reader/writer spinlocks algorithms in existence.

I'm interested in lock-free algorithms and the challenges of porting them to various architectures especially when there does not appear to be any standard synchronization primatives that you can depend on being in hardware.

Joe Seigh
0 Kudos
laura_cane
Beginner
Hi, All!
Hi, I'm the primary information developer (technical writer) for the Intel Threading Tools products. I document the tools in online help, and other guides, including the interactive Getting Started Guide which you can find at the Intel Software College, specifically here.
I've been a technical writer at Intel for six years now, with experience documenting the VTune Performance Analyzer and creating online tutorials dealing with processor instructions. I teach courses in tech writing and enjoy presenting on tech writing subjects at conferences.

I'm interested in improving my understanding of threading issues. I also want to gather information from this forum that can help us improve the quality of threading tools documentation. If you have feedback on how to make our documentation more "user friendly" I'd be happy to hear it!

Originally from New York, I now live on the Mediterranean, in Haifa, Israel. I've traveled a lot throughout Europe and the accessible parts of the Middle East, and lived in France for a while. In my spare time I like to walk on the beach, practice yoga, paint, and watch movies in odd languages. Lately I've really been enjoying planning parties and am happy to hear good party ideas. I'm learning spoken Arabic to round out my current languages (Hebrew, French, Spanish).
0 Kudos
skeil1
Beginner
Hi all,

my name is Stephan. I am a professional software developer
in Germany. Although my daily business is C++, I also
have to (am allowed to ;-) implement some time critical
functions (image processing) in x86-assembler.

Gruesse aus Deutschland,

Stephan
0 Kudos
LevD
Beginner

My name is Lev Dymchenko. I am here because of I try to write highly optimized applications.

My web site www.virtualray.ru
I have created simple 3D shooter based on software real time ray tracing engine. The game action takes place on surrealistic planets. Everything, monsters, weapons are built of spheres. It is quite playable in high resolutions such as 1024x768x32 on newest processors. Because of engine is deeply optimized under the SSE and Hyper-Threading technology. However, the 3D engine has advantages in dynamic per pixel lighting and real time soft shadowing and dynamic scene also.

My other interests include soccer and music.
0 Kudos