Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

L3 Cache Mapping on Nehalem (Xeon X3430)

Michael_G_9
Beginner

Hello Developers,

I am working on a project that involves manipulating the physical memory addresses assigned to a process in order to reduce cache line eviction on a third level (shared L3) cache.  This essentially comes down to partitioning the l3 via software means.  For this project I am using a single Xeon X3430 cpu with each process pinned to a separate core.

The design has been implemented, according to conventional memory-to-cacheline mappings (directly translaing the address into a tag-index-block map), but is still showing regular rates of evicitions in the cache.

Are there any variations from a conventional cache mapping that the Nehalem architecture would be using?  Or perhaps other properties of the X3430 that would be affecting the l3 cache?  I am aware that Sandy Bridge devies up its l3 into core-specific slices, and specifically avoided it because the mapping would be more complex.  I have not encountered any such information about Nehalem.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for the help,

-Misiu

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michael_G_9
Beginner

Pardon, but I seemed to have accidentally posted this in a rather odd place. I would appreciate it if a moderator would be kind enough to move it to a more appropriate location.

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Please try to re-post to a right IDZ Forum because you could do this significantly faster and it is in your interest. Thanks.