Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

L3 Cache Mapping on Nehalem (Xeon X3430)

Michael_G_9
Beginner

Hello Developers,

I am working on a project that involves manipulating the physical memory addresses assigned to a process in order to reduce cache line eviction on a third level (shared L3) cache.  This essentially comes down to partitioning the l3 via software means.  For this project I am using a single Xeon X3430 cpu with each process pinned to a separate core.

The design has been implemented, according to conventional memory-to-cacheline mappings (directly translaing the address into a tag-index-block map), but is still showing regular rates of evicitions in the cache.

Are there any variations from a conventional cache mapping that the Nehalem architecture would be using?  Or perhaps other properties of the X3430 that would be affecting the l3 cache?  I am aware that Sandy Bridge devies up its l3 into core-specific slices, and specifically avoided it because the mapping would be more complex.  I have not encountered any such information about Nehalem.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for the help,

-Misiu

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michael_G_9
Beginner

Pardon, but I seemed to have accidentally posted this in a rather odd place. I would appreciate it if a moderator would be kind enough to move it to a more appropriate location.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Please try to re-post to a right IDZ Forum because you could do this significantly faster and it is in your interest. Thanks.
0 Kudos