Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Optimization of fortran code using parallel studio xe

Christoph_I_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm now trying to find the best compilation flags for my code (CFD) since a couple of weeks but I think maybe thing wrong because the behaviour of my code is wired.

My code is written in fortran (77/95) and I use OpenMPI for parallelisation.  According to the Intel site of the CPU I use SSE4.2 can be used for optimization! (http://ark.intel.com/products/52576/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5690-12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI), therefore I compiled OpenMPI with the following command:

./configure --prefix=/opt/OpenMpi_intel_Opt_static/ CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort CFLAGS="-msse4.2 -axsse4.2" CXXFLAGS="-msse4.2 -axsse4.2" FFLAGS="-msse4.2 -axsse4.2" FCFLAGS="-msse4.2 -axsse4.2" LDFLAGS="-msse4.2 -axsse4.2" --with-platform=optimized --disable-shared --enable-static

based on (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-open-mpi-with-the-intel-compilers).

My code is than compiled with the following:

mpif90 -c -axsse4.3 -O3    files.f

mpif90 -o prog all.o -axsse4.2 -O3 

It seems, that based on the size of my arrays (in my case the number of entries of the array are equal my domain size) I get a good result or just "NaN". And when I get "NaN" the following remark is shown during compilation:

MAIN__ has been targeted for automatic cpu dispatch

If I delete the "-axsse4.2" flag it worked fine but It takes longer!

Is there another way to optimize my code or change the compilation flags in order to decrease the runtime?

THX

EDIT: mistyped -axsse4.2

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The question looks more suitable for the Intel Linux Fortran forum.  But it's difficult to see what you're trying to accomplish with all this confusion.  Why not use -msse4.2 throughout?  There's no sse4.3 option for intel compilers.  If it's not rejected we can't guess what will happen.

0 Kudos