Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Spawn-and-forget multitasking

dxcoder
Beginner
Hello,
I am developing my game engine and trying to find best-fit multitasking/multithreading model to feel the power of multicore processors. I've already implemented threads and multitasking(based on spawn-and-wait model). AlsoI heard about spawn-and-forget multitasking, but how does it work? And if someone can, please share implementation of such multitasking model. Searching in the Internet didn't give me anything, because there is not so much helpful information about it(may be I type wrong request in the "Find" field of searcher).
As I understand from name of multitasking model there is no synchronization like in spawn-and-wait multitasking model...
Thanks,
Pavel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
In your game engine you may have features that are not necessarily synchronized with other activities. An example might be playing background music, or gauges. The background music may be I/O bound tasks and the gauges being non-priority tasks. When synchronization is not important (does not require tight coupling) you would use a spawn and forget. If a fuel gauge misses an update it is not critical to the game experience. A pop or gap in sound might not be as important to the player as missing or lag between control input and movement.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
dxcoder
Beginner
Thank you, Jim! I've got the idea of this way to do such multitasking. "Running" through the Internet I found interesting information: Oles Shishkovtsov(CTO at 4A Games) said that they were using this(spawn-and-forget) multitasking way, and processing looks like a tree of tasks, and, yeah, task stealing also presented in the engine. I can't understand one thing: spawn-and-forget used across all the engine. How? Also they are not using any pre-/post-conditioning and sync events.
I feel like stupid, because of unable to understand what's going on, and what's wrong :D
Any ideas?
0 Kudos
tomorrowwillbefine

Microsoft Office 2010 is actually the newest software from microsoft office 2010 keys Microsoft Corporation introduced in the last year. Its leading aims tend to be to catch the present business requirements and to be on top of every competition with regard to the international market criteria. This can be a very good idea to obtain Microsoft Office 2010 Key immediately to maintain norton antivirus keys yourself up-to-date and to present you with the vast qualified progress opportunities for success. Microsoft Office 2010 is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, but attention please the two are not able to co-exist on the very same personal computer. All of the Office 2010 editions are kaspersky antivirus keys suitable for Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

www.keyyeah.com

0 Kudos