Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Using smoke framework[Contended Synch problems]

gonx
Beginner

Hi,

Im a newbie to multi-core apps and have been studying concurrent frameworks and found the smoke framework interesting to experiment with. =)

Has anyone tried using the smoke framework on a quad-core ? I'm using a q6600 w/o hyper threading and found out that

on 4 threads on release build i've been getting a 5-6 fps reading for this demo.

I tried using the thread profiler and the profiler seems to be displaying a "Frequent use of contended synchronization was detected" .. i traced it with a view source and it was showing some overheads(yellow vertical lines) and that the threads were synchronizing too frequently.

If there are too may synch activities how can i optimize this so that i can limit the synching activities?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
yoyolyy
Beginner
I've no idea on your problem.
Suggest you should show us your GEAR first.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Running the Smoke demo on my q6600, Win XP Pro x64 running Smoke as a 32-bit application, Compiled with MS C++, AMD FireStream 9170, the Release build

Single Threaded ~2fps
Windows Threading ~8fps
TBB Threading ~12fps

Your performance issue may be related to your display adapter. Note, these readings taken when flames are roaring. That seems to be one of the heavy load situations.

What do you see for each threading environment (edit Smoke.gdf in the bin folder, variable TaskManager)

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
gonx
Beginner

Running the Smoke demo on my q6600, Win XP Pro x64 running Smoke as a 32-bit application, Compiled with MS C++, AMD FireStream 9170, the Release build

Single Threaded ~2fps
Windows Threading ~8fps
TBB Threading ~12fps

Your performance issue may be related to your display adapter. Note, these readings taken when flames are roaring. That seems to be one of the heavy load situations.

What do you see for each threading environment (edit Smoke.gdf in the bin folder, variable TaskManager)

Jim Dempsey

Hi jimdempseyatthecove,

My system is a q6600, win xp pro 32 bit , compile it with MSVC 9 release.. solved my problem by editing the smoke.gdf and a few others by commenting the procedurefire .. =) runs faster now at 60+ fps

Thanks.
0 Kudos