Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

mpiexec does not run

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Hi I have encountered a weird problem with mpiexec. Currently I am using intel MPI that comes with intel parallel studio cluster edition on my Windows 10 machines. After installing the program, I configured it and registered mpiexec as suggested here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-mpi-for-windows

Then I set up my visual studio project as suggested here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/610381

I follow exact the same steps to install and configure Intel MPI on my desktop and laptop. However, while my desktop can run the program with MPI flawlessly, my laptop cannot run mpiexec. If I run my program using mpiexec :

mpiexec -n 4 myprogram.exe

It just freezes, does nothing, and gives me a blank command window. When I check my task manager, my program is not running. I am very curious about why this problem only happens to my laptop since I am doing the exactly same thing on my laptop and desktop.

Can you please help me with this issue? Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gao_P_
Beginner

I have the same problem,I think the system should be restored, may be effective, if anyone knows how to solve, please tell me

0 Kudos
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Gao P. wrote:

I have the same problem,I think the system should be restored, may be effective, if anyone knows how to solve, please tell me

Hi Gao P., I have not found a solution yet but I have a way to get around it.  I put '-localonly' after '-n 4' and then the MPI can run my own computer. This workaround works for me since I mainly use this feature to test my code on my computer and then upload it to a supercomputer for parallelization. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Possible differences between the laptop and server include effective size of physical memory and address space and hyperthreading settings.  My laptop doesn't support disabling hyperthreads.  The actual number of bits used in a 64-bit pointer is likely to be less on the laptop, associated with a smaller virtual address space.

If you are over-subscribing (more ranks than available cores), you must use the option to disable rank affinity (which may not be easy to find in the docs).  Hyperthreads may or may not work as well as additional cores in this context.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Does:

mpiexec -n 1 myprogram.exe

work?

Then does

mpiexec -n 2 myprogram.exe

work?

If either or both work, what does the Task Manager | Performance property page show for memory usage as well as activity per logical processor?

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Also,

On a "cluster" with 1 node, use:

mpiexec -ppn 4 myprogram.exe

(assuming 4 logical processors on your notebook)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos