Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.
1696 Discussions

what is going rong. low cpu performance on Intel Xeon 3.667 GH vs AMD Opteron 2.8GH

egatsiou
Beginner

hi,

i have since days the following CPU Problem. Maybe somebody can help !
We have an oracle database 10.2.0.3 Patch 9 on two enviroments who runs Windows 2003 SP2.
The Databases are the same.
On the first Machine we have the following hardware

System Model ProLiant DL580 G3

4 x Processors Intel Xeon 3.667 GH (each cpu has 1 core. hyperthreading was activated)

Memory 10 GB

On the second Server

System Model ProLiant DL385 G2
2 x Processors AMD Opteron 2.8GH Model 1 Stepping 3 (Each Processor has two cores)
Memory 8 GB

I run a sql statement on the two Databases an the timing result is the following.

For the Intel Xeon Enviroment the total alapsed time was 24,127 (ms)
for the Amd enviroment the Elapsed time was 9,697 (ms).

Now the internal customer wants that we change the hardware and use the AMD Processor.

Give it a reason for this poor performance ? Any hints about how i can make the cpu's faster ?

thanks in advance
Efstratios Gatsioudis

PS.
The AWR Report shows me that the SQL Statements use the same execution path.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The HP web page shows clearly that DL580 G3 has 667Mhz FSB, well below the capability of any single socket quad core desktop currently available. Certainly not a platform which would have been chosen in the last 4 years to run Oracle. So the customer is probably right in preferring a more suitable platform.
This forum is not the place where you would expect to find advice on matching old platforms to specific requirements.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The HP web page shows clearly that DL580 G3 has 667Mhz FSB, well below the capability of any single socket quad core desktop currently available. Certainly not a platform which would have been chosen in the last 4 years to run Oracle. So the customer is probably right in preferring a more suitable platform.
This forum is not the place where you would expect to find advice on matching old platforms to specific requirements.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
I agree with tim18. You are comparing an old system to an newer system.

Depending on the query, the SQL performance may be more of an issue with disk performance rather than processor performance. What are the disk subsystems on these two systems?

Prior to assuming AMD will provide better performance, see if you can run the same test on newer Intel platform of similar capability (as well as newer AMD platform).

I have here a dual processor, dual core AMD Opteron 270 (2GHz) and a single processor quad core Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz). These are currently "old" systems. Depending on the application either may out perform the other. My neighbor has a single processor Intel Core i7 920 (4 cores plus HT). Same application runs 4x faster than either of these other two systems.

Occasionly I get time on a Dell R610 dual Xeon 5570 system (2 processors, each 4 core with HT) and a RAID 10 disk subsystem. Some tests run 25x the performance of either of my quad core systems.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
egatsiou
Beginner
hi,
thanks for the answers. Its not an disk performance problem, because if i run the statements many times, i became these poor performance with 0 Disk reads, all the resultset are in memory and came from "buffer gets". The is subsystem is SAN.
Thanks
Efstratios
0 Kudos