Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11290 Discussions

AP Steering not working

tenchelfee
Beginner

Hello,

currently i have the following notebooks available (all with Win10)

• hp 250 g6 with intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
  • Zenbook with intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
  • dell precision 7520 with Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

They are connected to a fritz 6591 within a mesh environment.

Whereas all my Android phones are shown in the fritzbox as 802.11k and 802.11v capable, all the listed notebooks above are shown as 11v capable only. So AP-Steering is not working for them!

AVM, the producer of the fritz box claims, that they are "only showing" what the clients are supporting. So this is the reason, why I am putting the question right here:

Are the listed chips capable of 11k as stated? (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021562/network-and-i-o/wireless.html says yes)

Is the Driver update the right one?

How to check manually in windows10, if 11k is really supported?

PS the first 2 listed notebooks received the last update:

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Package version = 22.10.0

• Driver version 22.10.0.2: For Windows® 10 using AX210, AX201, AX200, 9560, 9462, 9461, 9260, 8260, 18260, 8265, 18265 

• Driver version 20.100.7.1: For Windows® 10 using 3168, 3165, 7265, 17265

Best Regards

Arno

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_V_Intel

Hello tenchelfee,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community. 

Based on the information that you provided and in order to better understand your issue please provide the following information: 

• What is the Router model?

• Were you able to use the AP Steering before?

We will be waiting for your answers.

Regards.

Jose V.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

tenchelfee
Beginner

Hi Jose,

thanks for the reply.

Currently i do not have admin rights for 2 of the three notebooks. Hope i can get them until next week.

Until now i provide only the Asus Zenbook data.

Router is Fritzbox 6591 as mentioned before (with OS 6.13)

Thank you!

The router is new, so basically steering was not working for me. But it works for the android phones with the Fritzbox.

tenchelfee
Beginner

Dear Jose,

pls find the Dell SSU attached.

On the third notebook SSU can't be installed due to missing admin rights.

BR 

Arno

Jose_V_Intel

Hi tenchelfee,

I appreciate you provide that information.

At this moment I want to let you know that we are checking this internally, as soon we have more information, details, or steps for you we will let you know.

Regards.

Jose_V_Intel

Hello tenchelfee,

After checking it, I want to recommend you to check with their AP Original Equipment Manufacturer as the adapters support 802.11.k. To make it work the AP should have an updated neighbored list in a specific time-lapse there could be additional AP configuration needed.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards.

Jose V.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

tenchelfee
Beginner

Hi Jose,

thanks for the reply!

So there we have a standard, 802.11k, and as and end user I am not able to proof, if sender the network card (=intel) or the AP (=avm fritz) is not working correctly.

So that is funny, because intel says: go to your ap manufacturer. AP manufacturer says: go to intel.

in the end, there is the customer, who is totally the fool.