Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Display issues with Intel NUC6i5SYH and MST hub

Recently got a new http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i5syh.html Intel NUC6i5SYH. For my display setup I have 2 x Dell ST2220M monitors, which have been working fine for years on 2 x DVI > DVI leads fed from an 8800GT. When I got the new NUC I also got a http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-DisplayPort-Multi-Stream-Transport/dp/B00XXPYOJW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pr... StarTech MiniDP MST Hub and http://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Displayport-Connecting-Projectors-Displays/dp/B015IGOK9M?ie=UTF8&psc=... 2 x new DP > DVI leads. When I connected everything and fired the PC up I got nothing on the displays, apart from an error (produced by the monitor itself):

The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.

Please change your input timing to 1920x1080@60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications.

I have managed to get into Windows by using 1 x HDMI > DVI cable using the HDMI out on the NUC. I have checked all the settings and all outputs should be outputting at the above settings (1920x1080@60Hz), but I still get the error message on the display still connected to the hub.

So far I have;

• Tested the two new leads individually on my laptop, both of which are fine
  • Tried powering the hub from a USB mains charger (designed to be powered from a PC usb output)
  • Setting monitor resolutions to 800x600
  • Pressed the small reset/calibration button on the hub - both screen flick off and on and back to how I started
  • Downloaded and installed latest display drivers from Intel
  • Checked the BIOS to make sure the port is set to output

Just to clarify, I seem to be getting no output (not a supported output anyways) from the MST hub at all. At the moment I have one monitor connected to the hub, which is connected to the mini-DP - not working, and the second monitor connected to the HDMI out - working.

Can anyone help shed any light on my situation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I guess that you need to connect the monitor using DP or use an active DP->DVI converter. Most adapters are simple passive ones. The passive adapters just adapt the voltage levels and rely on the DP outputting device (i.e. the NUC) to detect the different protocol (HDMI, DVI) being used and switch to it. This may not work for MST as the NUC's port needs to remain in DP (+MST) mode.

Edit:

Oops. Didn't read the hub's product description. Seems the hub already contains an active adapter. So your setup should work. However, the reviews aren't that good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

You should use an mDP to DVI adapter for one output, and an HDMI to DVI adapter for the other.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie%C2%AE-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B00ZMU9PQS/ref=... Mini DP to DVI, Rankie® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

What would I do if I wanted triple monitors though? Admittedly, at the moment I am only using two but I would like to use them both through the mDP, especially as I have bought all the kit now. Additionally, if I do eventually go triple monitor I will need a working solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I did try to find out if the hub had an active adapter but couldn't find that info myself - could you tell me where you saw this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

In order to take advantage of the daisy chain functionality of Display Port, I believe you will need to actually use monitors with support for Display Port. What you are trying to do is take turn DP Daisy Chain functionality into some sort of multiple DVI output device. That's not what that is for. Please correct me if I am wrong or mistaken.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I thought one of the points of an MST hub was to provide some of the DP functionality on non-DP monitors? If the monitors supported daisy-chaining, obviously I would use that.

Taken from Wikipedia;

DisplayPort 1.2 added support for Multi-Stream Transport (MST), enabling multiple monitors to be used via a single DisplayPort connector. This function requires either monitors that are capable of DisplayPort 1.2 daisy-chaining, or use of a DisplayPort MST Hub.

I know this hub does do what I require, as a friend on mine is using the 3 port variant for a very similar setup, only with slightly differing components.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I think it's not written explicitly. But the hub is advertised as working with DVI and HDMI output (e.g.) simultaneously. This, I think, only works if it is active and maintains DP MST upstream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Right, I thought as much. A friend of mine bought the triple output variant of this and, although he ended up returning it (he only had DP1.1 so just mirrored all his monitors) it did work for him - we also have identical monitors. I think I may have a faulty hub. I think I'm gonna try and get a replacement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Still no joy. Got a replacement unit but having the same problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

DisplayPort output supports Multi-Stream Transport (MST) which allows for multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) over a single DisplayPort. This will require the use of displays that support DisplayPort 1.2 and allow for this feature.

You can see more information from the Technical Product Specification at:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25507/eng/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec03.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25507/eng/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec03.pdf

See page 22 and 23 for multiple display configuration

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have an active MST hub. Shouldn't I be able to connect to non-DP monitors?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm sorry, basically the configuration we support and recommend are the one mentioned above, you will need a display that supports DisplayPort 1.2, you can see page 22 and 23 on the link I posted above.

I know that this is not what you want to hear but I cannot give you false expectations.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did read the above and in the table it does suggest you can use an MST hub;

I also followed the link just above that table to the official DisplayPort website and one of the FAQ's is;

Q. How can I use my existing display or digital TV set with a new computer that has a DisplayPort output?

A. DisplayPort has the unique ability to support external display adapters. The DisplayPort Source device (such as a notebook computer) provides power at the DisplayPort plug to power such an adapter, and it detects the type of adapter connected, as well as the type of monitor. Inexpensive DisplayPort adapters are readily available for VGA, DVI, and HDMI displays. Adapters for HDMI 2.0 will become available in the near future.

This sounds exactly like the setup I have got.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

DisplayPort output supports Multi-Stream Transport (MST) which allows for multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) over a single DisplayPort. This will require the use of displays that support DisplayPort 1.2 and allow for this feature.

Is that what you have, a DisplayPort monitor? If yes, it should work.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos