Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpostolov
Novice

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Hi! Sorry for my bad English...

Intel NUC7PJYH2 BIOS Upgrade to 0058 causes boot failure Linux and Unix-like operating systems

Intel BOXNUC7PJYH2 Version #: J67992-404, Date of Manufacture: 22 May 2020.

With previous BIOS 0057 all OK with Linux, Unix-like OSes and Windows. After upgrading the BIOS by F7 to version 0058 and F9 - Load defaults and configure Bios (with Linux or Windows boot profile and disable Secure Boot), Windows 10 installer is loading successfully from USB stick, but Linux and Unix-like (FreeBSD and NetBSD) are not loaded.

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce edition -> blank screen when loading and system stops
FreeBSD 12.2 Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/OvWKz7XfLH_EGA
NetBSD 9.1_STABLE Screenshot -> https://yadi.sk/i/-uSPJoVtqTr0gA

1. Please remove Intel NUC7PJYH Bios 0058 from Download Center to avoid problems with Linux and Unix-like users.
2. Please fix this Bios bug for Linux users

Probably this is a problem with ACPI BIOS settings for Linux and Unix-like OSes.

144 Replies
pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

Is there any warranty on the replacement NUCs or how does this work? Just asking since the SATA-controller of my replacement NUC now seems to be defective... One SSD already died and a new Samsung and Crucial SSD threw SATA errors when using Linux, which ended up destroying the data of fresh installations. I got the Crucial SSD working for now by using a USB3 adapter.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Sorry to hear that the replacement NUC is not working right. This NUC is covered by the same warranty as your original one. You can ask for a replacement, just as you did the first time around. 

...S

pleasefixthis
New Contributor I

Thanks for answering. So when my original warranty went void in the meantime, it means there is no extended warranty for the replacement NUC, right? Might be important for people to know, in case they somehow get a faulty replacement (not saying this has necessarily happened).

n_scott_pearson

Now you are into nebulous territory that I can't answer for. AFAIC, your original warranty is your only warranty and you are covered while it is active. How a replacement late in the cycle affects things is something that you will need to discuss with the ICS folks.

...S

Cornelius
Novice

I don't want a refurbished Nuc, I want an update on my own Nuc. What a company that Intel is, you will have to work there. I should not think about it.

mvignol
Novice

Yeah, I went with a replacement via the advanced replacement system. They waived the $25 and sent me a replacement while I still had my nuc and I had 30 days to return mine. They charge your credit card for the replacement tho till you return it. I held onto to it for three weeks to see how the replacement held up and thinking maybe the bios fix would come thru and I’d just return the replacement nuc instead. As it stands, no bios update and the replacement seemed fine so I returned my original. Hope it doesnt go south. I don’t think it was brand new tho the credit card hold wasn’t for a refurbished nuc price I don’t think...
Cornelius
Novice

I spent a long time looking for the cause of one of my NUCs failing. Never thought a blunder from Intel could be the cause. I also wonder why such a thing can happen and who is responsible for it. Is it because Intel has fired so many people in recent years? Wrong management? COVID-19? Or is it because things just aren't going well with Intel? AMD supplies processors that Intel can only dream of, maybe that's why Intel has lost its way. What I am very sure is that the quality control is not good at Intel. Apple also no longer uses Intel processors, I wonder what will be left of the company Intel in 5 or 10 years.

robimo
Novice

Another week has passed and no news.

Aroshigami
Novice

(Forgive me my English) 2 months have passed and there is no news at all, you are going to do something at all, at least write to wait or not for us to update or already switch to AMD

Tags (1)
n_scott_pearson

A fix is in the works; that's all I can say. Unfortunately, ICS agents are not allowed to discuss schedules here. Anything said could be misconstrued to be a commitment. I similarly can't comment due to my NDA with Intel. You will just have to wait a short while longer.

...S

Aroshigami
Novice

Thank you very much for responding, we will wait

Cornelius
Novice

Yesterday I declined a replacement Nuc from Intel. I don't need refurbished **bleep** for my 6 month old Nuc. I have removed the memory and the ssd from the Nuc and now have a 95 Euro paperweight. I am now going to order a mini computer with an AMD processor on Amazon.

Thank you Intel for your good communication with your Nuc users. You let a retired employee (who may be ashamed that he worked for such a **bleep** company) communicate and you keep playing stupid yourself.

Aroshigami
Novice

The situation is difficult, well, let's wait for the main thing to fix this problem, and we'll just draw conclusions and intel.

Michael_B2
Novice

Waiting since more than 10 weeks, no official statement from INTEL in the hole time, I really understand that there can be problems, but that is too much. That was definitely my last NUC from this company!

Cornelius
Novice

Companies like Intel have enormous arrogance. They are not at all interested in the fact that a small number of Nuc users can no longer use Linux, not at all. Why should they spend time and money getting their people to restore the bios? For those maybe a dozen users? Why Intel still has arrogance today is because they no longer live in reality. If you look at the developments of AMD and Apple, and the difficulties Intel is in, you know that Intel is done, they are only going downhill. I was able to get a refurbished Nuc, I didn't want one. I also infer from this that we can forget Linux on this Nuc. But there are also small computers for sale with AMD for sale and I bought them.

AlHill
Super User

Such a commentary from a new user...   I prefer to wait and see.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

Aroshigami
Novice

Sorry for my English, I'm glad for the person from the previous post that he can just go and buy a new PC, I'm really looking forward to Intel to correct the situation. You can discuss them for a long time, well, here the person wrote that you can read the new version of testing from the very beginning of the post.

n_scott_pearson

Woohoo, the wait is over!

BIOS 59 has cleared validation and is in the process of being posted. Sometime in the next 4-8 hours, it should propagate down to the Download Center servers and be made available.

...S

tomb31
New Contributor I

For obvious reasons, only those who are on the broken version 58 should take the update. Everyone is well advised to not touch the firmware unless they have a problem with it. Not worth the risk.

Cornelius
Novice

Even on my Nuc's that have Windows on, I no longer update the bios there. The perhaps slightly better security does not outweigh the risk that something will go seriously wrong again.

I realize that the freedom I thought I had with Linux is not at all as great as I thought. With 1 push of a button, Intel can make your and my computer unsuitable for Linux.

Balazs
Novice

The broken version is 0058.

Version 0057 was fine, do not touch it!