cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHelm4
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK, no working display output.

Greetings!

I'm currently experiencing issues with my Hades Canyon NUC. The issue I'm having is that no of my display outputs (both HDMI and Displayport) isn't sending any signal.

I've tried all ports with different monitors and cables and still no display.

Therefore, I'm suspecting that a driver or something similar is out of date.

All help is appreciated, Since I currently can't access my NUC because of this!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. If you can't see after depressing Power Switch the display with Intel Nuc logo and the blue Power Button LED isn't illuminated, then it is not related to out of date driver or Windows.
  2. If you are looking trough front vent holes (just below the left blue USB port), can you see a green led light)? If not check your Power Adapter. If you have checked the Power Adapter and the Green Power Led on the board is not illuminated, probably you Power Circuit in NUC failed.
  3. If the Power Adapter is OK and you can see the green Power LED on board illuminated, disconnect the power adapter cord, open the upper NUC cover, lift the LED panel and disconnect the CMOS battery connector. Reconnect it after 15 minutes and try again boot your NUC.

Leon

SHelm4
Beginner

Hi Leon!

I have a green LED and the computer starts as it should normally.

So I'll try the CMOS battery and see if this works, thanks for your reply!

Sebastian

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Sebastian,

1. "computer starts as it should normally" - means that you can see the the Intel Logo? If the answer is yes, means that you have problem to boot into Windows. Follow my instruction, how to recover to last saved working configuration:
  2. Press Power Button to switch NUC ON
  3. Repeatedly depress F8, you will see words: Please wait. Stop depressing F8, NUC will enter Advanced Option Menu.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6.  Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows).
  7.   If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list.
  8.  After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start.
  9.  Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. 
  10.  When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Hope this helps

Leon

SHelm4
Beginner

Hi Leon!

Sorry for my bad wording, When I said "the computer starts as it should normally." I meant the LED's and such go on and everything else starts as it would normally, but with no display output.

I've tested plugging the CMOS battery out and such, as you recommended earlier, but avast, there is still no screen to be seen.

So your suggestion here with a System Restore is of no good yet, since i have no intel screen, nor anything else. there simply put is still no display signal at all.

Still grinding my gears around this, any other suggestion?

Sebastian

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You may try to recover your Bios using Bios Recovery with the Security Jumper Removed method:
  2. Prepare USB memory stick fully formatted to FAT32. Format this USB in Windows machine, rather than in Linux or MAC machine.
  3. Download the latest bios file HN0058.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28953/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 and save it on this USB stick.
  4. Disconnect the Power Adapter, open the NUC upper cover and remove the yellow Security Jumper. See page 46 in Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...
  5. Insert the USB stick with the HN0058.bio file into yellow USB port (the charging port). Reconnect the Power Adapter and power your NUC On.
  6. The recovery process should begin automatically after 10-30 seconds.
  7. After recovery finishes, press and hold the Power Button, till the NUC switches OFF. Disconnect the Power Adapter.
  8. Replaced the Security Jumper between pins 1-2 and close the NUC cover.
  9. Power you NUC ON.

Leon

SHelm4
Beginner

Hello again.

This didn't go to well, I have followed your instructions above. The installation of the BIOS seemed to have gone smoothly, with the system flashing the led's for 30-40 seconds, then going over to a steady "On-Off" type of pattern showing it's done I supposed. However, upon sutting it off, unplugging the power cable and replacing the Jumper on correct pins, when it's turned on again it turns on the LED's and then shut off in a second.

Is this progress the right direction, or have I done something wrong?

Sebastian

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Sebastian,

1. No, it doesn't look well. During recovery process, you should get display similar to the image attached. The recovery process may take 2-5 minutes: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html . You may try to repeat the recovery process, but this time wait more time - about 5 minutes.
  2. Since you have checked with different cables and monitors, HDMI and USB Type C to DP could be that your NUC is bricked.
  3. You may try to disconnect the Power Adapter and leave the NUC disconnect over night. Some time it helped.
  4. Sorry I couldn't help better.

Leon

1. BiosRecovery.jpg

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Please describe this on-off flashing better. What is the timing of the on-off/off-on changes? There should be a pattern to it.

Please describe the LED activity for both the BIOS Recovery operation (i.e. while you have the jumper removed) and for the normal power on (i.e. with the jumper back installed).

...S