Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMEDV
Novice

Vibration and Noise in midrange : Fan problem?

I have a small problem with my Nuc. Fans(I think, one of them) in midrange (only) produce vibration and extra noice.

Not a deal breaker, but something I would prefer not to have

This is how it sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=1&video_id=RFDU24voHYs https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=1&video_id=RFDU24voHYs

If I turn it (or move upside down) the noice disappears, ironically, in normal position it is very well reproducible

I disassembled Nuc (up to the fan) and tighten fan's screws

But it did not help

(btw on disassemble video I found in the Internet wifi card was using two connectors, mine only one)

I am not an expert but I suspect it is a defective fan - when I shake the unit slightly, noise goes away momentarily - something I would expect from the defective fan. This is the worst case really - I do not have repair store nearby or time to spend on this minor (but unpleasant) defect.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=1&o=U&video_id=GgAzyO6QjtA https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=1&o=U&video_id=GgAzyO6QjtA

Any suggestion are welcome, while the unit is torn apart, I would love to try them, if not I will have to put this unit to work and live with that

47 Replies
AMEDV
Novice

Found some more stories, with vibration problems, on the forum,

AMEDV
Novice

OK. This is what I have done:

So I thought if it is vibration of the fan, it might be bad contact with the case, and so I applied some sticky tape at the top and bottom of the fan:

(White one is double sided, so it should have helped, if it was vibration because of the bad contact of the fan)

I did not helped. When I was doing that I was almost sure it would help. Now I sure It must be the fan. I can spot noise quite well, there is nothing more that can vibrate.

Frankly, I do not remember, when was the last time I had issues with hardware, not with a 1000USD unit anyway.

Given that it is a cheap piece and seems to be common problem, IMHO Intel should have done something about it by now, globally

idata
Community Manager

Could be some bad news for you I had a USB C Driver Error I contacted Intel about emails went back and forwards problem sorted but they did Inform me that removing the Mother board from the case will Void any and all Warranties So a return for Warranty may be off the table now but We do now know what fan is in the NUC.

And it a Off the Shelf $11 fan used in HP lap tops well done Intel in cheeping out on a very important part of the NUC the Cooling fans

Have fun trying to find one Will link it for you

https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Beats-Blaster-110x100x15-765761-001/dp/B01HDZL44K https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Beats-Blaster-110x100x15-765761-001/dp/B01HDZL44K

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. This is very strange and unacceptable statement: "... removing the Mother board from the case will Void any and all Warranties So a return for Warranty may be off the table now...".

The Intel instruction to replace/disconnect CMOS battery calls to remove the motherboard: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006787/mini-pcs.html CMOS Battery on the Intel® NUC . This how it can be done (if I'm not wrong) in all NUCs except tha last NUC8i7HVK, where the battery is located on the accessible board side.

2. See also Intel answer (post # 2), in the following post:

3. This thread too:

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Ah well I was informed very differently for the Hades Canyon and I did not reference any other NUC unit they have nothing to do with the Hades Canyon at all but the name NUC. See Email extract.

I was well informed what removing the Mother Board will do to your warranty

David Bennett <</span>mailto:david@simplynuc.com david@simplynuc.com> Tue, Jun 26, 2:10 AM

to charles, John, Jonny, me

Hi There,

Unfortunately this means that a FET went out or a cold solder joint has happened.

Jonny,

This is a problem that requires the board to go back to the manufacturer. A replacement motherboard will be needed.

While the component can be changed out. It voids the Intel Warranty, thus its better to send it back.

We already know its the 5v lane that has issues since the direct component has been identified.

When sending back to Intel, don't forget to attach a note to let them know the specific problem. They have noted that the FA team really appreciates that.

LeonWaksman
Super User

This letter is from Simlynuc. This is not from Intel. I haven't found any statement from Intel, not in this forum and not in warranty terms saying that removing board will void warranty.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, and I do not believe this to be the case at all. People remove the board from the case with some regularly - and indeed ICS tells them to (it's the only way to access the CMOS battery if a BIOS hang is occurring). As well, people move their board over to fanless chassis and their warranty still stays in place.

...S

idata
Community Manager

On the 4x4 NUC units I know it is done a lot with out problems But with $1,400 AU on the line I prefer to air on the side of caution But in saying that the day the warranty expires will be Water Cooling mine as soon as I can arrange for a block to be made, Housing I can manage my self out of Coloured Perspex, What colour most likely black or clear kind of up in the air about that.

But till I have been informed By intel I am not game to pull it from the case, in case it dose void the warranty as they are not the easiest NUC board to remove it is a Just-in thing.

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

I had a similar resonance issue at a certain RPM, I'd hear a squawking/chirping coming out of the left fan as you face the front of the NUC. It didn't

After playing with the enclosure by squeezing it in certain places (gently), I found how to stop it every time by squeezing about 3/4" of center left, and towards the front of the NUC by an inch. Stops it every time. But ... it's a resonance or the squirrel cage flutter and annoying because it returns.

About BIOS 044, I began to play around with fan speed settings and just for the heck of it, I ran them at max cooling for an hour, then went back to "normal" default cooling levels, and I've not had the problem since then. Serious as a heart-attack.

Now, I know, this is not a real "fix" because the root cause was not identified.

However

:-)

It's working.

AMEDV
Novice

How fast is Intel support by the way?

On Saturday I submitter support request, and have not get any feedback yet (no confirmation email, nothing). Today I contacted local support by phone and was told that they somehow lost the ticket. The contact person assured me that sending spare fan is a possibility and promised to write back today. The day is over and I did not get any reply again. I do not feel there is something happening on Intel's side

As to the defect, I disabled hyperthreading (I disable it anyway on my machines) and the fan does not speed up so often, so most of the time it is quiet, but I do not think this is a normal solution. I cant say for your case, but mine is clearly a fan problem, should not be a problem to fix (some resonance issues AFAIK can be a lot trickier)

My support request number is 03508345

If somebody is reading this from Intel, please, could you make sure your support is doing their job

idata
Community Manager

Hello, Andmed.

I have sent you a private message to discuss more information about your case 03508345. Please check your inbox.

Antony S.
AMEDV
Novice

Hello Antony

Thank you for this. It seems that I can not attach images in private posts here , so I write here

I got the cooler, it is two-three times smaller than installed in my NUC

I hope this is not the joke, but it cost me one more dismantle (I am sorry I did not noticed this earlier, just did not expect this)

I attach image of the cooler (spare one is on top), and photo of dispatch

Ridiculous

AMEDV
Novice

I c&p below shipment notice from Intel

The cooler model is wrong, I do not know why.

When asked about model I wrote correct model and also attached photos from below my NUC, something came wrong in Intel

Case DateAug 03, 2018Tracking Number:http://www.dhl.com/en/express/tracking.html?AWB=7116815285 7116815285 Shipment DateAug 15, 2018

Product List

Item NumberProduct Being Sent from IntelATPO/Serial NumberMMID1000BLOWER NUC/DELTA/KSB0605HBBNMN/A944581
idata
Community Manager

Hello, Andmed.

I have sent you a private message to discuss more information about your case. Please check your inbox.

Antony S.
AMEDV
Novice

Here is one more video

It is plain bad

AMEDV
Novice

AMEDV
Novice

Correction- there is two cables to wifi, of course. I did not notice the second one behind the tape

I wrote to Intel support about this, seems to be warranty issue

p.s. writing to myself

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This definitely sounds like the bearings have gone in the blower. You have two choices: (1) Send the NUC back to Intel and get a replacement from them, or (2) Purchase a replacement blower yourself. I personally would go for the latter option; I would stay running and just swap in the replacement when it arrives. The alternative is waiting, without a running system, for the replacement unit to come from intel. This is a standard delta part and I see multiple hits for places to purchase a replacement.

Hope this helps,

...S

AMEDV
Novice

Hello Scott thank you for confirming, Alan thanks for the link, most helpful.

I could not find the one used in the unit Delta BUB 1112HB in local stores.

As as to the warranty what would Intel expect people in remote locations do if not to try to fix the problem themselves first? If Intel failed at quality, I would expect they excell at warranty, but shall see.

Best for me would be if they send the right spare fan, so I could replace it

AMEDV
Novice

This is a Kit after all