Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

1. Is it true that when installing an optane memory module on an established laptop system the HDD has to be reformatted? 2. What optane memory module do I purchase for the model listed?

RScot14
Novice

HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx with 1x PCIe NVMe M.2 slot

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Are you sure this laptop supports OPTANE? I do not see it in the specifications.

Perhaps you should ask HP regarding Optane support.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. Possibly. It is required that you leave 5MB of free (non-partitioned) space at the end​ of the drive. But, if you didn't do this, I believe that there are tools that can shrink the last partition to free up this space without affecting any data in this partition. Regardless, for a transition like this, you should always have/make a backup beforehand.
  2. Whether your laptop is prepared to support an Optane module is a question you need to ask your laptop vendor. I believe you can get better acceleration using the 32GB module (as opposed to the 16GB module). It also allows you to use the folder pinning feature to indicate folders that should always be cached.

H​ope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RScot14
Novice

Thanks this info is very helpful. My problem is I purchased a configure to order (CTO) system from HP and the only info provided for CTOs is basic system info, the system info is not maintained online and there is no user guide. So I have to hunt the world over to find info on my system and HP support is non-existent in getting info. I appreciate your quick response.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Are you sure this laptop supports OPTANE? I do not see it in the specifications.

Perhaps you should ask HP regarding Optane support.

Doc

0 Kudos
RScot14
Novice

Thank you for your quick response. If I may ask what specs are you looking at and where did you get them. Also trying to get info from HP for a CTO seems impossible. I've written the CEO of HP and suggested that they at least put the information on the Configured To Order (CTO) system. He in turn put me in touch with their IT from whom I haven't heard from yet. My understanding is HP CTO system info is not maintained online and they don't provide a user guide either. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I simply searched HP's website for specifications for the model of your laptop, and the word optane did not appear anywhere.

To solve this, you need to go to HP support and ask them. We cannot help you here as the bios belongs to HP.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What you have to determine is whether or not the HP BIOS "Sata mode" supports Optane. If it does not, you cannot use Optane.

Doc

0 Kudos
RScot14
Novice

I've just learned that my system doesn't support optane memory. Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just throw a good m.2 SSD in there, install w10 on it, and you will be fine - probably. After all, this is a HP laptop.<G>

Doc

RScot14
Novice

Yeah it does appear to be my only option. Thanks.

*Personal information not related to the case removed*

0 Kudos