Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

32GB Optane memory back to factory status

maxtor
Beginner
My 32gb optane memory became unusable while I tried to migrate Windows from HDD to nvme SSD. Now it is locked with bitlocker. If I remove the lock, I get a message saying the optane memory module needs be be formatted. What should I do? Is there any way to make the memory module back to the original factory status?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Good Night!

My hope is that after you reset the SATA mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration instead RAID, your system may boot with Optane and HDD as before (pending that the Optane and/or HDD are not corrupted). Then you will be able to access your data on HDD.

Before booting from the new SSD, do not forget the set back SATA mode to the same as during system installation (i.e. RAID?). Once the system is working again, you should change the SATA mode to AHCI, following my instructions from the post above.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

If you disabled the Optane before cloning the HDD to SSD and you have now bootable computer  from NVMe SSD, there is nothing wrong to format or even wiping the Optane Memory Module. Before doing this try to remove the Optane module and see if your computer is booting.

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Thank you.
The nvme ssd is bootable but, unfortunately, the hdd is bitlocked and I cannot remove the lock. How can I make the hdd and the optane module usable again? My mini pc(intel nuc8i7beh) has only one nvme slot.
0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Thank you.
The nvme ssd is bootable but, unfortunately, the hdd is bitlocked and I cannot remove the lock. How can I make the hdd and the optane module usable again? By the way, my mini pc(intel nuc8i7beh) has only one nvme slot. When I tried to migrate the Windows, I left the optane module instead of the nvme sdd in m.2 slot by mistake.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @maxtor 

I'm assuming that when you migrated to system to the NVMe SSD, this SSD was installed in external adapter? Now, I understand you have removed the Optane Memory and installed the the NVMe SSD instead. I understand that you didn't change the SATA mode from "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System" to "AHCI"? If I'm right, you may reinstall the Optane Memory back (instead the NVMe SSD) and your system should work again from Optane + HDD. After booting into Windows , disable the Optane acceleration and disable the bitlocker from the HDD.

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Thank you, Leon.
As you suggested, I put the optane module and the hdd in the pc and tried to boot. But it doesn't boot since hdd is bitlocked, I suppose. I don't understand what you said about changing SATA mode.
0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
I just found out the SATA mode is at "RAID".
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't know the sequence of events in your NUC after you started the all process. Any way the HDD encryption with bitlocker was not affected by Optane memory. I don't understand why you want to disable this encryption if you have now the HDD cloned to SSD? If you have all contents of the HDD now on the SSD and you can't disable the bitlocker, reinstall the SSD and just format the HDD. Doing so, you are loosing all information on this HDD.

About the Chipset SATA mode. There are three modes: AHCI (for normal operation), RAID (allows multiply drives to be merged) and the third mode Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System (used for Optane acceleration). I don't understand how it happened that your NUC is now in RAID mode? 

In order to change SATA Mode without destroying Windows boot, Windows must be set to SAFE Boot Mode. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig .  Chose Boot tab and enable Safe boot. Reboot your system.

During system boot enter Bios again. Verify in Advanced > Boot that Fast Boot is disabled. If not disable it.

Now you can change the SATA mode to "AHCI". Save the setting (click on F10 followed by "Y") and boot into windows in SAFE mode. Disregard the warning you will see.

While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.

Reboot your system. 

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Thank you.
Because the hdd was locked, I couldn't migrate the Windows. I installed a fresh version of Windows in the nvme. So I don't have access to my personal data in hdd. What I want is making hdd and optane module usable so that I can use them in another PC. Right now the bitlocker key works only with optane memory, but not with hdd.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may try this:

1. Remove your SSD.

2. Power ON your NUC (without the drive) and enter BIOS.

3. Set the SATA mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System and click on F10 to save the settings and exit from BIOS.

4. Power OFF the NUC and reinstall the Optane memory and the SSD. Power ON your NUC and if you are lucky and the Optane memory contents wasn't corrupted, your system should boot.

5. Be careful, before powering ON the NUC with the SSD, set the SATA mode back to the previous mode (RAID?).

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Thank you.
This is only for saving optane memory, not hdd?
I will try later. It is 3:10 a.m. here in Korea.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Good Night!

My hope is that after you reset the SATA mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration instead RAID, your system may boot with Optane and HDD as before (pending that the Optane and/or HDD are not corrupted). Then you will be able to access your data on HDD.

Before booting from the new SSD, do not forget the set back SATA mode to the same as during system installation (i.e. RAID?). Once the system is working again, you should change the SATA mode to AHCI, following my instructions from the post above.

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
Hello.
Following your instruction, I reset the SATA mode to Intel RST.... and tried to boot with optane and hdd. Unfortunately, I get a bitlocker recovery page.
I guess I had better give up the personal data in hdd. Is there any way to make my optane module workable?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

ell you may try to find your Bitlocker key. There is many solutions in net. For example Method 1 or 
Method 2.

In order to reach the Command Prompt from Advanced Menu, you may boot from Windows Installation USB. Click on "Repair my computer" in the bottom, instead on "Install"

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
I have already tried. It doesn't seem that I saved the key for hdd. In case of optane, unlocking works but it says formatting is needed. I guess I need to find a way to initialize the optane memory.
Thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

If the Optane Acceleration wasn't disabled, part of the Operating System is cached on this Optane Memory. So, if you will format it, you will loose the possibility for booting the HDD. Please read the "Questions Related to Various Usage Cases" in the Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
At this point, without making optane module usable, I cannot do anything?
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Since, your HDD is encrypted and you don't have the key to open this encryption, your data is inaccessible. You tried already all the "ticks" from net, so, in this case in my opinion you should ask for help at Microsoft Support. If your Windows activation was linked to your Microsoft Account (hope that you created one?), there is possibility that the bitlocker key is stored there.

Good luck

Leon

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Do not forget to change for the new installation (NVMe SSD), the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. Do this in SAFE mode, as described in my other post.

Leon

0 Kudos
maxtor
Beginner
I will contact Microsoft. Thank you for your time.
0 Kudos