Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Can I add 32 gb optane M.2 module

KShub
Beginner

I have 2 different computers that are supposed to support Optane memory:

1. Dell Notebook i5-8250U 12gb memory, 1TB 5,400rpm HDD

2. HP Desktop i7-7700 16gb memory, 2TB 7,200rpm HDD

Each has an open M.2 slot to use. I can either add an Optane memory module or I'll add a NVMe SSD drive.

Am I better off adding the Optane or the SSD? Non-gaming use. The Optane add would be 1/3 of the cost of the SSD.

If I add the Optane, I can go with a 16GB or 32GB module. I think the processor is limited to 32GB memory, but does this limitation still apply to the additional Optane?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi wmachine,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

If I understood you well, you are wondering what would be better to add: a new NVMe* SSD or the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

If you choose to add a new NVMe* drive, you will be adding a new drive faster than the HDD that you currently have. You will have additional storage space for your applications, files, etc. and would be able to leave one drive as the primary unit (boot drive) and use the HDD as the secondary unit just for storage.

If you choose, on the other hand, the Intel® Optane™ Memory, you won't be adding additional storage space in your system. The Intel® Optane™ Memory is going to be paired with your current HDD to accelerate it. This means, to make it faster than what it actually is now. At the end, you will have one single unit made by the concatenation of the HDD and the Intel® Optane™ Memory, with no additional storage space.

So considering this information, it's up to you which one you prefer. If the cost factor is critical, then the Intel® Optane™ Memory may be the best option, but if you don't have cost restrictions, probably adding a new NVMe* drive would be better.

Regarding to your last question, I didn't really understand it. Could you please explain what you would like to know exactly? The Intel® Optane™ Memory is a storage device with the specific functionality of accelerate a SATA drive. It is not a memory device like the RAM memory or similar, so if you are wondering if adding the 32GB version of the module will reach the limit of your RAM memory, that should be fine as they are different devices., so don't worry about that.

The Intel® Optane® Memory FAQ is available here in case you want to check additional details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.256764363.1162834208.1538085705-1716436649.1536075640 Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi wmachine,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

If I understood you well, you are wondering what would be better to add: a new NVMe* SSD or the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

If you choose to add a new NVMe* drive, you will be adding a new drive faster than the HDD that you currently have. You will have additional storage space for your applications, files, etc. and would be able to leave one drive as the primary unit (boot drive) and use the HDD as the secondary unit just for storage.

If you choose, on the other hand, the Intel® Optane™ Memory, you won't be adding additional storage space in your system. The Intel® Optane™ Memory is going to be paired with your current HDD to accelerate it. This means, to make it faster than what it actually is now. At the end, you will have one single unit made by the concatenation of the HDD and the Intel® Optane™ Memory, with no additional storage space.

So considering this information, it's up to you which one you prefer. If the cost factor is critical, then the Intel® Optane™ Memory may be the best option, but if you don't have cost restrictions, probably adding a new NVMe* drive would be better.

Regarding to your last question, I didn't really understand it. Could you please explain what you would like to know exactly? The Intel® Optane™ Memory is a storage device with the specific functionality of accelerate a SATA drive. It is not a memory device like the RAM memory or similar, so if you are wondering if adding the 32GB version of the module will reach the limit of your RAM memory, that should be fine as they are different devices., so don't worry about that.

The Intel® Optane® Memory FAQ is available here in case you want to check additional details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.256764363.1162834208.1538085705-1716436649.1536075640 Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
KShub
Beginner

Thanks! You understand me correctly. So I guess there is no clear cut answer to which is better for me. I think I may try the Optane memory module and see how I like it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wmachine,

That's perfect. If you ever have any additional question about the Intel® Optane™ Memory, feel free to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos