Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Can I enable Intel Optane with a NVMe SSD?

ovingiv
Novice

I have an Asus Z270-a motherboard that has 2 m.2 slots. The upper slot is where optane is and the bottom one is where my 970 evo is.

I upgraded from a 850 evo sata ssd to the 970 because I got a bonus from work so I decided to upgrade. After figuring out how to install windows to an NVMe drive, I got all the drivers installed and when I went to enable optane the enable button is grayed out.

When I go back to my sata ssd I could enable optane. Is optane only allowed to work to a sata drive? or could I use Acceleration to have the same effect?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ovingiv,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

First, let me congratulate you for the bonus you got at work.

Just as you said, the Intel® Optane™ Memory has been designed to work only with SATA drives. That’s the reason why you cannot enable it with your new NVMe* drive.

What you can try to do is to accelerate your SATA drive but this time using it as a secondary drive since your primary drive is now the NVMe* drive. There are however some requirements your system must meet in order to be able to accelerate a secondary drive. Please check these requirements in the following articles:

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ovingiv
Novice

redacted.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ovingiv,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

First, let me congratulate you for the bonus you got at work.

Just as you said, the Intel® Optane™ Memory has been designed to work only with SATA drives. That’s the reason why you cannot enable it with your new NVMe* drive.

What you can try to do is to accelerate your SATA drive but this time using it as a secondary drive since your primary drive is now the NVMe* drive. There are however some requirements your system must meet in order to be able to accelerate a secondary drive. Please check these requirements in the following articles:

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
ovingiv
Novice

Sorry for the late reply. I actually was able to get it to work through using the accelerate drive and chose the optane drive as the ssd cache and then chose my system drive and restarted my computer.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ovingiv,

Thank you for the confirmation.

If you ever have another issue or concern about the module, please don't hesitate to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos