I have a MSI z270 Gaming PRO motherboard with the m.2 slots occupied as follows:
Slot 1: SSD Samsung 970 EVO Series 250GB PCI Express x4 M.2 2280
Slot 2: Intel Optane Memory 32GB PCI Express x2 M.2 2280
I have the OS installed on the m.2 SSD and I want to use the Intel Optane Memory to accelerate my regular SATA HDD. I have the latest bios version.
Before I installed my m.2 SSD, I was able to use the Optane drive to accelerate my HDD. Once on the m.2 OS, Intel Optane software says "Unsuported system drive" but I do see it in Disk Management as a drive.
Is it not possible to run 2 types of drives on the same motherboard? To mention that the setup of set drives were done via the Easy M.2 auto setup from MSI Bios.
If I use just the m.2 SSD in motherboard slot 1 with easy m.2 bios setting ON-> It works OK
If I use just the Intel Optane in motherboard slot 1 with easy m.2 bios setting ON -> it works OK
If I use slot 1 for SSD and slot 2 for Intel Optane; with easy m.2 bios setting ON -> It doesn't work
Have you guys ever had this situation?
- Intel Optane Memory
- Install the Optane memory back to slot 1 and disable it to accelerate the HDD.
- Next, install install your new configuration: Samsung SSD in M.2 slot 1, Optane module in M.2 slot 2. Now your system should boot (the HDD is not accelerated yet).
- Run the Optane software and enable acceleration of your secondary drive. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064 .
- Before enabling Optane ensure that your bios is updated to the latest version: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO#down-bios
Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a go and probably will have to install the OS several times again for these changes. In the meantime I also raised this with MSI support, and they said the following:
"We are sorry, but do you want to enter to the OS which installed on M.2 SSD? You can not boost the SATA HDD in OS which installed in M.2 SSD. If you want to boost the SATA HDD, you should enter to the OS which installed in SATA HDD."
I will get back with results after the changes.
- Please read the Note in frame in the Installation Guide for Optane Memory: "...With the latest Intel Optane memory and Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) applications (Version 16.x or later), the Secondary/Data drive can be accelerated with Intel Optane memory modules. " https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html . After installing your Windows on the Samsung SSD, this exactly what you need. However, first you need to disable the current enablement.
- The latest driver released by Intel is version 22.214.171.1249 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28649/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745 . Intel however, advices to use driver updates provided by their system manufacturer.
- The latest driver released by MSI is version 126.96.36.1990, Released Dec 20. 2018 , suppose to support accelerating of secondary drive or may be not (according to information provided by MSI?
- You may try to use the Intel released driver?
- Any way, you need to install the Windows on the new SSD, since you can not clone UEFI system installed on SATA HDD to NVMe SSD installed in M.2 slot. Such cloned disk will be not bootable. Clean installation of Windows will take only about 15 minutes. But again, the old enablement, must be disabled first.