Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Cannot enable Optane Memory

BGree7
Beginner

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get my existing Win10 installation adapted for Optane but everything should be set. The BIOS is updated and setup, all should be good.

However, when I run the SetupOptane.exe app the installation completes, the system reboots, then I'm greeted with a box saying "Cannot Enable Optane Memory". It says that my system is compatible, but that no Optane Memory is detected. I can go over to the drive admin tools and there it is. I can even format and use it as a regular drive.

I'm attaching some things that will be asked for. Please let me know if I should provide anything else.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kissfan003,

Regarding this situation, please keep in mind the following:

-Only one of the Setup (SetupRST.exe or SetupOptaneMemory.exe) application can be installed on a system at a time. Choose the application that makes the most sense for your intended usage and configuration.

Please let us know if that is your case as well and if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BBowm
Beginner

Hi Nestor C,

Thank you for your reply. I first tried the SetupOptaneMemory.exe file and it didn't find the hardware so I uninstalled that package and installed SetupRST.exe and it did find the optane drive. However I too do not get the any of the performance data.

I will go back to ground zero and start over. Maybe I did something out of order. Results are forthcoming.

I appreciate your time and support!

Regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
BGree7
Beginner

I went around and around with this. Ultimately Intel support remote-controlled my PC to examine the issue.

They informed me that there are no statistics or performance data available. I don't know what to believe. Ultimately this product has been a failure in my eyes, so I'll be ripping it out the next time I'm doing some maintenance.

Too bad I didn't give up when I could return it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kissfan003,

Thanks for the update on your situation. When you are using the SetupRST.exe file, this will only give you the possibility to enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory, but no other statistics.

To check this, you need the other software (SetupOptaneMemory.exe).

Please let us know your progress on this.

weevilone

Please let us know if you want us to run a remote session again so we can help you with anything you need.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BGree7
Beginner

Well that goes against that support instructed me.

Regardless, I can't install SetupOptane.exe under any circumstance. If I try to do that now, it says it can't install b/c Intel RST is installed.

If I remove Intel RST and then try to install it, it says it can't install because Intel RST is not installed.

Catch 22.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Weevilone,

That is really strange, we have not seen this situation here in our lab when trying to replicate. We do suggest to you to get in touch with our support department in the other case you have opened with us.

Please let us know if this is possible.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kissfan003,

We would like to know if you were able to install the software and if it worked fine. We'll be waiting for your response.

weevilone,

Did you contact our support department again?

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BGree7
Beginner

I did not contact them again. I might do it when I have additional time. If you recall, they remote controlled my PC and came to the conclusion that the additional statistics I mention do not exist.

Likely that I'll just remove it and get rid of it. It's been way more hassle than it's worth.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Weevilone,

Thanks for your reply.

Whenever you have the time please contact us so we can check your system remotely.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BBowm
Beginner

Hello Nestor,

I was able to get the optane specific software package to run after disabling optane and uninstalling the RST. However, I am using a 16GB stick and the optane software states that there will be no performance data available for anything under 32GB. Bummer.....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kissfan003,

Great to hear you were able to get the software installed and you are correct about the statistics, it works only on the 32GB or above.

Thanks for replying back and have a nice week.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
NDera
Beginner

Well after 4 days of support calls with Asus and Intel as well as countless times of banging my head against the wall I finally resolved the same issue in this thread. All I did was disconnect all drives except my sata and the optane. I ran a disk part and cleaned the drive, set CSM to disabled and installed the Optane.exe NOT the RST.exe this time. Sure enough I was able to enable the optane and it's running great FINALLY. Plus I'm running Windows 2016 also. There really needs to be better collaboration with Intel and Asus because it seems to me the support is basically just taking shots in the dark and it's very Frustrating with all the time wasted.

0 Kudos
SAKJS
Beginner

hey

0 Kudos