Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Compatibility of Intel Optane with Acronis True Image 2016 backup

BTrai
Beginner

So now that I have the Intel Optane module enabled and apparently stable in my Windows 10 system, I would like to know whether the Optane module will cause problems with backup files that have been created with Acronis True Image 2016.

What is Intel's recommended approach for using backup software like Acronis with an Optane module?

With the Optane module enabled, Acronis True Image seems to create a backup file without any issues.

It seems to backup my Optane-enabled SSD just like it would with any other non-Optane disk.

But I have not actually tried to restore that backup file to my existing SSD, or clone it to a different SSD or HDD.

I understand from the Acronis forums that cloning to a new disk can be a little complicated even without the Optane issue, eg.:

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2016-forum/guide-restoring-uefigpt-windows-system-new-disk-true-image-2016 Guide to Restoring a UEFI/GPT Windows System to a New Disk with True Image 2016 | Acronis Forum

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2016-forum/cloning-gpt-disks-acronis-true-image-2016 Cloning GPT disks with Acronis True Image 2016 | Acronis Forum

So I am concerned that the Optane module may have created a serious problem with restoring backup files, both to the existing SSD, or if I ever had to clone the system to a different SSD.

Thanks for your reply, Intel.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Optane_frustration,

We would like to check this compatibility scenario in our lab, that way we can give you a better response since we have not checked this yet.

We will keep you posted with updates as soon as we have them, please stand by.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We were running tests and we were successful using the backup option. For the clone part, the software tried to clone the drive but after the restart, it did not clone anything to the target disk.

We would like to test some other third party software, but it may actually get the same result, we'll be letting you know.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Optane_frustration,

We finished our tests and we can let you know the following:

-Neither Acronis True Image 2016 nor Intel® Data Migration Software cloned the drive

-We tested a third party tool https://www.easeus.com/download/tbf-download.html EaseUS* and this software completed the process

-We were able to clone the Intel® Optane™ Module + SATA SSD to another SATA SSD successfully.

-We also tested cloning the Intel® Optane™ Module + SATA SSD to an NVMe* SSD and it worked fine.

The only thing to keep in mind is, if you want to clone an Intel® Optane™ Module + SATA SSD, you don't have to change anything in the BIOS, so the setup will remain as booting from Intel® RST, with a single drive.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We'd like to you know if you require further assistance or if you have any other question. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BTrai
Beginner

Thank you Nestor.

Frankly, I don't want to abandon my existing Acronis backup software, and this issue combined with the Optane software constantly "optimizing" my SSD for hours at a time every day, combined with the fact that it conflicts with Samsung Magician, has all persuaded me that Optane has been a failed experiment in my case.

I have already "disabled" the Optane software with the option button.

I believe that I can safely remove the Optane module from the motherboard now, but please confirm.

I would also like to expunge all traces of the Intel Optane software now.

I recall seeing messages on installation of "SetupOptaneMemory.exe" that indicated that it was not advisable (or perhaps even possible) to uninstall the software.

If I select the "disable" button in the software first, can I then uninstall SetupOptaneMemory.exe from the Windows Control Panel, or do I have to leave that software there forever, as unused bloatware?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply.

We understand your position and based on your questions you can now do the following:

-Remove the Intel® Optane™ Memory Module. (You confirmed to have it disabled it)

-The software can be uninstalled now and it should not give you error messages.

Let us know if you still have questions or concerns about this.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos