Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Compatibilty of the Intel Optane

DHugo
Beginner

Hi !

I want to buy an Intel Optane but I'm wondering if we can put it into a laptop, more precisely, in the "HP Pavillon 15-cx0008nf". This laptop has a M.2 Memory slot for an SSD M.2 or an Optane. But is the "Intel Optane" compatible with this laptop ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Chaze,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I'd recommend you to contact HP* directly to confirm if this specific laptop model supports the Intel® Optane™ Memory or not. Even though the laptop has an M.2 slot, it doesn't mean the module will work with the system, so it's better to contact them for confirmation.

On the other hand, I was searching for details about this laptop, however based on the information available here: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06067507 HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0008nf Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support I would say that this laptop is not compatible with the module since there is no mention of it in the specifications, but as I said, it's better to get confirmation directly from HP*.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Chaze,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I'd recommend you to contact HP* directly to confirm if this specific laptop model supports the Intel® Optane™ Memory or not. Even though the laptop has an M.2 slot, it doesn't mean the module will work with the system, so it's better to contact them for confirmation.

On the other hand, I was searching for details about this laptop, however based on the information available here: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06067507 HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0008nf Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support I would say that this laptop is not compatible with the module since there is no mention of it in the specifications, but as I said, it's better to get confirmation directly from HP*.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
RKHON
Beginner

In my laptop, I have 8 GB RAM, 1 slot , page file 3 GB and available 5.6 GB. I want to have better latency, speed, reliability, can I replace that RAM with OPTANE 3D XPOINT?

I checked the dxdag and found that it is having PCIe root complex.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ktraj1,

The Intel® Optane™ Memory is not intended to replace the RAM memory in a computer. They both are memory technologies, but they serve different purposes in the PC memory hierarchy.

Please check the following article where there is a detailed explanation about the difference between the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the RAM memory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RKHON
Beginner

I know that Optane will not replace RAM but compliments it. But as an integrated one, wherein I just need to slot in. I think NVDIMM-N has FPGA and DRAM and 3D NAND in one as banks and I hope we can just slot in. Does it mean that when we have Optane, we have to buy separately DRAM, 3D NAND and Optane and fit them separately? Can you please send me the picture of sample Optane , with DRAM and 3D NAND and what part I need to buy and fit separately?

Thanks,

Raja

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Raja,

If I understood you well, you would like to include the RAM features and the Intel® Optane™ Memory features in one single device so you can connect it in a single slot, correct?

That's not possible as the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the RAM memory are physically different cards connected separately. Each card should be connected to its respective slot in the motherboard.

I don't have a picture for you, but the Intel® Optane™ Memory should be connected to an M.2 slot while the RAM memory should be connected to the slot intended for the RAM memory.

I hope this clarifies the concern.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
DHugo
Beginner

Hi,

Finnaly, I'm just gonna take an SSD M.2 for my PC, would be easier

Thanks.

Dorian

0 Kudos
idata