Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Dell 5570 does not recognize my Intel Optane Memory

kosymailman
Novice

I recently changed the battery in my a Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop.  Everything has been working fine but after I replaced the battery, the computer does not recognize the 250GB Intel Optane Memory. Now the computer boots to a blue screen with the error message - "Your PC/DEVICE needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code:0xc000000f". I am currently booting from a USB drive and have double checked all the connections inside the computer and they all seem to look good. I think I have downloaded and run every program from the Intel website that updates drivers or manage the optane memory. The Dell online diagnostics test shows everything is working correct but does not show the Intel Optane SSD drive as part of the system. Looking through the BIOS, I don't even see the words - Intel Optane.

The system is out of warranty and I hate to pay Dell $99 dollars to tell me what is wrong unless I have to.

Any help would be very appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
If you put one of these SSDs into an external NVMe-to-USB chassis, the Optane portion of the drive will be ignored and only the SSD portion will be seen and performance will be no better than the SSD portion's raw capability.
If you removed the Optane SSD from the system without properly disabling the Optane caching, the SSD portion could (also) appear to be corrupted. In this case, the data in the cache is not available and whatever it refers to -- which could be part of the drive's file system data structures -- will be missing and/or improperly represented.
Hope this helps,
...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @kosymailman.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

We received your thread regarding the Intel Optane Memory module no longer being recognized, I will be glad to assist you.

Since the Optane Memory module is not even recognized in BIOS, there are no exact recommendations we can provide as it is recommended to contact the system manufacturer for BIOS related troubleshooting, as mentioned in the article for Optane Memory troubleshooting: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055140/memory-and-storage.html.

You may use the steps mentioned in that article as a reference, please check the section "Troubleshooting at the BIOS level".

Now, regarding the module itself, in order for us to check if what other options we have, I would like to know the following:

- Did you purchase the Optane Memory separately or was it pre-installed in the system from the factory?

- Can you provide us with a couple of pictures of the unit showing the SSD labels?

- Do you have a copy of the invoice/receipt from the store or website where you bought the Optane Memory or system (if preinstalled)?

I will follow up on January 4th or we can schedule a different date for the follow up if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kosymailman
Novice

BrusC_Intel: Thanks for the quick reply.  I took the laptop apart again yesterday and found two of the pins that were bent in the slot that the Optane drive fits in.  I don't how this happened but that is definitely my problem.  I guess that will be my next project.

Is there an external USB enclosure that will work with the Intel Optane drive?

thanks for your help.

Doug

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
If you put one of these SSDs into an external NVMe-to-USB chassis, the Optane portion of the drive will be ignored and only the SSD portion will be seen and performance will be no better than the SSD portion's raw capability.
If you removed the Optane SSD from the system without properly disabling the Optane caching, the SSD portion could (also) appear to be corrupted. In this case, the data in the cache is not available and whatever it refers to -- which could be part of the drive's file system data structures -- will be missing and/or improperly represented.
Hope this helps,
...S
kosymailman
Novice

Again, thanks for the quick reply.  I think that is everything I need to know.

I do appreciate your help.

Doug