Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Drive not recognized after driver update

Kabushiki
Beginner

I've recently had issues with frequent freezes on my PC. I've updated a few drivers to try and fix this, among those was a driver update to Intel RST. After reboot my Optane accelerated system volume isn't recognized anymore. I will boot straight to BIOS where the volume doesn't show up in the boot menu but the drive is still listed under SATA Information. If I turn off Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration(RAID) the drive shows up but is not bootable. I'm assuming because some system data is on the Optane module.

Is there a way to solve this without a reinstall? I can't use a restore point because OS is not recognized without RST enabled.

I have two partitions on my accelerated drive: system and storage. If a reinstall is required is it possible that data from my storage partition is at risk? Talking about 6TB of data here that's quite important. Any way to safely backup this data?

System info:

HDD: ST8000NM0055-1RM112

Optane Memory Moduke: INTEL MEMPEK1W032GA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Kabushiki,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

•  Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the Optane is connected.

1-      Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2-      When finished downloading it, open it.

3-      Attach the file obtained to your reply.

• This issue seems related to the fact that the optane acceleration was still active at the moment of uninstalling the RST drivers on your PC. In order to disable the Optane acceleration we advise you to set up your BIOS settings as they were before the issue happened and to access the Intel® Rapid Storage configuration option to disable the Optane acceleration, if you are not sure where to find this option on your motherboard BIOS we advise you to consult your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or the user manual available at your OEM website.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Set the SATA mode back to RST and boot into Windows.
  2. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  3. Chose Boot tab and enable Safe boot. Reboot your system. 
  4. During system boot enter Bios again. Now you can change the SATA mode to ACHI. Save the setting and boot into windows in SAFE mode.
  5. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  6. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot. Reboot your system. 
  7. Now your system is bootable in ACHI mode (however not accelerated).
  8. Uninstall the RST software.
  9. Right click on Windows key and press on Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  10. From the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter. The diskpart prompt will open.
  11. From the diskpart prompt, type list disk and press Enter. A list of disks will appear in a text format. You will return to the diskpart prompt.
  12. From the diskpart prompt you will need to select a disk disk number (for instance, if the Optane Memory 32GB + drive is Disk 1, you would type select disk 1) and press EnterDiskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk. 
  13. From the diskpart prompt, type clean and press Enter. The Optane Memory is now erased and the old enablement is not active any more.
  14. Close out of the Command Prompt.
  15. Now install Optane acceleration software and follow your desktop manual to accelerate your drive again.

Leon

Kabushiki
Beginner

Hello, thanks for your detailed reply.

Sadly the affected drive is my system drive. With RST enabled it is not recognized at all and I can only boot into BIOS.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I understand. The problem is that you may change the SATA mode only if you are booting in SAFE mode. Please try the following procedure to boot into Windows. Start with SATA set to RST.

Try this now and may be Windows will install the necessary RST drivers, so, the system become bootable again:

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB. If you don't have one, create it using Microsoft Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command
  8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  9.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows 
  10. Open the RST software and disable Optane Acceleration.
  11. Still in SAFE mode, reboot and enter BIOS.
  12. Now, since you are in SAFE mode, you may change SATA mode to ACHI.
  13. Save settings and exit to Windows.
  14. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  15. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot. Reboot your system. 
  16. Enable Optane Acceleration again. If the Optane is not visible, erase contents of Optane Memory, from diskpart prompt, as described in my previous post.

Leon

Kabushiki
Beginner

I tried to follow these steps as accurately as possible.

After step 9. selecting Continue the PC reboots and the following sequence of events happen:

• Boot logo shows up and while loading reads "Preparing Automatic Repair"
  • Followed by "Diagnosing your PC"
  • Followed by "Attempting repairs"
  • PC restarts again
  • Long load with no text (~1 minute)
  • PC restarts again
  • A screen shows up that reads "Your PC did not start correctly". I can select Advanced options to go back to Troubleshoot or select restart which boots back into the installation setup.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Instead of pressing on Troubleshoot, can you click on Continue (Exit to Windows 10)?
  2. Other possibility is: in Advanced Option, click on Startup Settings, then Next. After computer reboots click on [4] to boot in SAFE mode.

Leon

Kabushiki
Beginner

Yes I can select Continue, this will again lead to:

• PC restarts
  • PC restarts again
  • Boot into windows setup

Selecting Startup Settings, then [4] to boot in SAFE mode is almost the same result:

• PC restarts
  • Boot into windows setup

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry, have no better idea 😟

One more thing - you may you try this procedure (booting in SAFE mode), but with SATA set to AHCI mode.

Leon

0 Kudos
Kabushiki
Beginner

Thanks, you have already been a big help.

I have encountered the same problem with SATA mode set to AHCI mode.

However I have set it back to RST enabled and installed windows on a separate drive and booted into it. Through some logs I was able to gather the following information:

The driver update that most likely caused this situation was an Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller driver.

The previously installed driver was:

Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller

Signature:

Provider: Intel Corporation

Date: 07.02.2018

Version: 15.44.0.1010

ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

Inf file: iastorav.inf

Section: iaStorAVC_inst

The newly installed driver that caused the problem was:

Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

Signature: 2:6.1,2:6.3,2:10.0

Provider: Intel Corporation

Date: 31.07.2019

Version: 15.9.8.1050

ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

Inf file: iaStorAC.inf

Section: intel.ntamd64.6.2

Since I can access the drive, do you think it is possible to revert this driver update through the file system or otherwise restore it to a point before this problem occurred?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I don't know if and how you can revert your system to the previous status (i.e. to make this drive bootable again).
  2. I'm not familiar enough with the RST driver, so, I don't wan't to give you wrong advice.
  3. Probably you will need to reinstall your system. However wait for Intel engineer advice. Probably to morrow.

Leon

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Kabushiki,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

•  Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the Optane is connected.

1-      Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2-      When finished downloading it, open it.

3-      Attach the file obtained to your reply.

• This issue seems related to the fact that the optane acceleration was still active at the moment of uninstalling the RST drivers on your PC. In order to disable the Optane acceleration we advise you to set up your BIOS settings as they were before the issue happened and to access the Intel® Rapid Storage configuration option to disable the Optane acceleration, if you are not sure where to find this option on your motherboard BIOS we advise you to consult your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or the user manual available at your OEM website.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Kabushiki,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. 

This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Kabushiki
Beginner

Hello Josh,

Thanks for your help. I backed up my data and reinstalled windows. Even after exploring all options I was not able to restore my OS into a bootable state.

This case may be closed.

Best regards

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Kabushiki,

Thank you for your reply.

As per your consent, this case is now closed.

If you have future questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos