Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Error 0xA0070020 - Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application

kathampy
New Contributor I

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024385/memory-and-storage.html

When trying to enable Optane Memory for a data drive, I get error 0xA0070020 when using the "Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management" application from the Microsoft Store. However if I download and use "SetupOptaneMemory" or "SetupRST" instead, I am able to successfully enable Optane Memory for a data drive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kathampy
New Contributor I

It started working after uninstalling and reinstalling the controller in device manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Of course the bare app fails. It doesn't have the driver needed​ for communication with the RST hardware. You must always install the driver using one of these packages.

...S

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

The RST v17 driver for "Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller" was already installed. I also see that a service "Intel(R) Storage Middleware Service - RPC endpoint service which allows communication between driver and Windows Store Application" is running after installing the driver. Yet the error is only when trying to enable Optane Memory from the Microsoft Store app.

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

It started working after uninstalling and reinstalling the controller in device manager.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me be clear: Unless specifically instructed otherwise, you should never install or uninstall any of the Intel driver packages via Device Manager. You should always perform the install using the Intel-provided executable and you should *always* uninstall the complete package via the Apps and Features applet or the Programs and Features Control Panel applet (or using Uninstall shortcut if one is generated).

In this case, you are required to install the full RST or Optane packages, using the Intel-provided installer, before downloading or using the Optane applet available in the Microsoft App Store.

...S

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

That's not true. The "f6flpy-x64.zip" RST driver is for manual installation, and the Optane app from the Microsoft Store is supposed to work with it. Installing this driver installs "Intel(R) Storage Middleware Service" as well. If you install the full "SetupRST" application and driver, there is no need for the Optane app as its functionality is included in the RST application.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you are wrong. The F6 Floppy driver is a basic driver that supports the basic operation of Intel RST. That is, it supports the operation of already-configured arrays. To do anything monitoring, configuration changes, Optane enabling, etc. you *must* install the full or Optane package.

...S

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

The driver store package installed by "SetupRST" and "f6flpy-x64.zip" are identical. The RST application and the Optane application from the Microsoft Store are interchangeable - they are both GUIs that talk to the same driver. Installing the driver through "SetupRST" doesn't do anything special. The RST application has an additional monitoring service to display notifications etc.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not going to argue with you. The packages are required. Get over it.

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

I have it working on a new installation without the "SetupRST" or "SetupOptaneMemory" packages... Just the F6 driver and Optane app from the Microsoft Store.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Packages are required. There must be something residual on your system that allows it to work.

Look, this is a waste of time. I am not monitoring this discussion any longer.

...S

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

There's nothing residual on a new Windows installation. If you install the Optane app from the Microsoft Store first, it throws an error about the driver not being installed. Once you manually install the F6 drivers for the controller in Device Manager and start "Intel(R) Storage Middleware Service", the Optane app works fine and is able to successfully manage both Optane Memory and SATA / PCIe RAID.

0 Kudos