Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Freezes just after login, 32GB Optane, Win 10, 12GB RAM, HP 590-p0066

CBrac
Beginner

I've got an HP Pavilion 590-p0066 running Windows 10 64 bit with 12GB RAM, i5-8400 chip, and 1TB drive that's a few months old.

I've reloaded Window 3 times, installed and removed the Optane chip several times, and FINALLY got the installer to run and the software to connect and configure the Optane to the hard drive.

NOW, just after I login into the system, it freezes. I try to do anything more than start a program or access menu and I get a perpetual blue spinning circle for hours and hours.

Now what???

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Chris,

I was wondering how you are doing with the tests. Is your system up and running?

Let me know if there is something you need help with.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
CBrac
Beginner

Hi Diego,

So far, so good. I'm still getting things setup and rebuilt.

I have experienced some random slow downs when using a browser in particular, but I think I can attribute them to the Norton Security software that I have installed. I installed a higher level than I normally use, so my system is probably still adapting. The full version with an unlimited subscription is included with Internet service for Comcast customers.

Hopefully over the weekend I can get into using some higher level apps (than just a browser) to get a better impression of what the Optane is doing. I've been meaning to install a Mac OS system emulator to run some legacy stuff. Now that I know I have a fairly clean system, this might be a good time to work on that.

I only have a 32GB chip, which I realize is intended for gaming and graphic design, but with 7th generation processors. I saw that Optane comes in as high as a 480GB version, wow! Half a terabyte of RAID assisted RAM seems crazy. If I ever have another corporate job as an IT guy, that's something I'd like to play with. I miss the days when I was a Senior System Engineer for Hanna Barbera Cartoons and then Warner Bros. Animation, fun and big budgets!

More updates later,

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the updates. I'll be waiting for your response in the incoming days.

Regarding to the 480GB Optane™ version you mentioned, you may be talking about the Intel® Optane™ SSDs which are different from the Intel® Optane™ Memories. The name is similar but the products are different. Both are based on the Optane™ technology, but the Intel® Optane™ Memory is used for accelerating SATA drives and the only versions available are 16GB and 32GB.

On the other hand, the Intel® Optane™ SSDs are as the name says, SSDs and they could be 280GB or 480B capacity. You can get more details about them in the following sites:

Back to the main topic, let me know if the Intel® Optane™ Memory works fine once you finish your setup.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
CBrac
Beginner

Ah, I see the distinction now. I missed the SSD part.

Those have to be screaming fast drives, I can only imagine how fast a boot drive and system would be with one...!

I've always been a big advocate of operating system and apps on one drive and then all data on a secondary drive or a network.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Chris,

Do you have updates about this? Is everything working fine with the Intel® Optane™ Memory?

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos