Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

H10 + M10/HDD in one System?

EWese
Beginner

Hello all

I would like to know, whether or not it is possible, to implement 2 Optane modules in one System for two different drives.

I am using an H10 512+32 GB as my boot drive and would like to hook up a 16 GB M10 to my HDD.

Unfotunately, I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

thanks in advance and stay healthy!

regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I know, you can only have one Optane module in use in a system. If you have the H10, then you shouldn't have the M10.

...S

0 Kudos
EWese
Beginner

I see, guess I didn't quite get the intention behind that whole thing then. Would it rather make sense to pair the optane module of the H10 with the SSD or rather HDD? Does it make any difference on daily use to unhinge the optane module from my boot drive? It certanly would improve the HDD, since that what it's made for am I right?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the Optane memory in the SSD is there to accelerate the overall performance of the SSD. Honestly, introducing the H10 SSDs without the ability to use the caching capability across multiple of these drives and/or simultaneously allowing a M10 module to be used, makes absolutely no sense to me - and I originally hoped that I was wrong about this, but it is what it is...

Just a side comment: In my experience, using a Optane module to accelerate a (secondary) data HDD rarely improves performance by very much anyway. This technology is just not that effective in cases where the HDD contains a lot of rarely-accessed data files (pictures, etc.). It could be (more) effective if you had the larger M10 module and (thus) support for folder pinning. This feature helps a lot in, for example, cases where a game is installed on a HDD; just pin the game's folder.

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The other solution is to installing a modern NVMe SSD instead of H10 512+32 GB in the first M.2. On this SSD you can install Windows 10 and other programs. In the second M.2 slot you can install M series Optane Memory Module to accelerated your data HDD.

Leon

0 Kudos
EWese
Beginner

well gee, what a bummer. thank you for your insightful replies.

I'll probably revert to SATA SSDs for this use then and ditch the HDD since i can't really be bothered to reinstall windows and all the other software on that drive.

stay healthy :)

0 Kudos