Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

How to recover HDD data that was unpaired from an Optane Module inadvertently?

MShee2
Beginner

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Here's the deal:

Windows became corrupted on my HP Omen system with a 16gb Optane module paired with a 1tb HDD and would not boot up.

It would only let me reset to factory state, formatting the hard drive, so instead of formatting the 1TB original drive I purchased another hard drive to install the operating system onto, with plans to grab the data of original drive after install.

I didn't realise Optane memory made a raid, so after installing windows on the new drive and inserting the old 1TB drive into the system, the original drive didn't show up anywhere.

The drive does show up in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program with an exlamation point and states that it's offline and to clear metadata, but from what I can tell, clearing metadata will erase the drive.

I've tried to download 2 different data recovery programs, but neither of them see the original 1TB drive.

So, Any suggestions on how to recover the data? Is there a specfic program that will work with this previously optane paired drive? Is there a way to make the drive online so the recovery programs can see it?

Any help or info is gretly appreciated. There's a ton of data on this drive that I nees, which is always the case huh?

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. This the reason that I advise (and I do for my self), a backup of HDD image after disabling Optane first. In addition my data are continua sly backuped , using Windows File History feature.
  2. Now, you can connect your old HDD to your PC using external SATA to USB adapter. You will be able to see and copy your data. This is an example of such adapter: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23G60VVJVGSXG&keywords=sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1573749697&sprefix=sata+to%2Caps%2C303&sr=8-3

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. This the reason that I advise (and I do for my self), a backup of HDD image after disabling Optane first. In addition my data are continua sly backuped , using Windows File History feature.
  2. Now, you can connect your old HDD to your PC using external SATA to USB adapter. You will be able to see and copy your data. This is an example of such adapter: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23G60VVJVGSXG&keywords=sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1573749697&sprefix=sata+to%2Caps%2C303&sr=8-3

Leon

0 Kudos