Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

How to use Optane as RAM on home pc

snowmanjack
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 home computer. It has i5-8400 processor, 8G DIMM RAM,  and 16G Optane Memory. I've had this for 3 years, and am disappointed in the performance of it. I had higher hopes for the Optane memory, but perhaps my understanding of the benefits is incorrect.

Most of what I read about Optane states it will help with frequently used files, help them load faster, etc. But I rarely use files, like Notepad++ or Word or Excel.

I am using browsers 95% of the time, often with 25 tabs open in Chrome and Firefox simultaneously. My PC is slow, and my memory is often 90% used.

Is Optane helping me at all, when I'm just keeping Chrome and Firefox open with a ton of tabs? I don't think Optane is giving me any more RAM for all that tab data.

However, this article states Optane can be "added to DRAM to increase systems performance."

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000175253/optane-memory-module-frequently-asked-questions

If that is true, how can I do that? Will it help me in the ways I hope? I couldn't find any online articles on how to use my Optane memory as an extension of my RAM.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, snowmanjack.

Good day,

After reviewing the information shared on your initial post, I would like to just clarify something regarding that link.

The phrasing used there is not totally correct.

Question: Does Intel Optane memory replace DRAM?

Answer: The Intel Optane memory module does not replace DRAM or add any capacity to DRAM. It can be, however, added to DRAM to increase systems performance.

That part in "bold" is correct, but the rest is not, I'm not sure what they were trying to say there. Optane Memory was designed to work as a special type of caching device for slow storage devices, like SATA HDD or SSD, by storing the most important files on the Optane Memory, and is not related to DRAM in any way.

I would recommend checking directly with them that particular statement.

If there is anything else I can try to help you with, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on March 9th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are making a mistake by trying to use Optane, in any capacity.  Optane was a failure, and extremely difficult to manage.

If you want to use optane, in the manner you are describing, you need a 32GB module and pair it with a HDD.  Then, you can PIN folders/files to the Optane.

But, I would not.   I have in the past and, like I said, it is a pain in the rear to manage. 

Just saying....

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

n_scott_pearson
Super User

And you certainly cannot use Optane Memory (i.e. as RAM) in desktop platforms. This is a feature of Server platforms only.

...S

snowmanjack
Beginner

I appreciate the info from both users. Sounds like I was duped when buying a PC with Optane, in the ways I thought it might be helpful. Hopefully I'm getting some benefit somehow.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, snowmanjack.

Good day,

After reviewing the information shared on your initial post, I would like to just clarify something regarding that link.

The phrasing used there is not totally correct.

Question: Does Intel Optane memory replace DRAM?

Answer: The Intel Optane memory module does not replace DRAM or add any capacity to DRAM. It can be, however, added to DRAM to increase systems performance.

That part in "bold" is correct, but the rest is not, I'm not sure what they were trying to say there. Optane Memory was designed to work as a special type of caching device for slow storage devices, like SATA HDD or SSD, by storing the most important files on the Optane Memory, and is not related to DRAM in any way.

I would recommend checking directly with them that particular statement.

If there is anything else I can try to help you with, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on March 9th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

BrusC_Intel

Hello, snowmanjack.

Thank you for taking the time to mark the thread as resolved.

The thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos