Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Installing Optane memory in new build

Myrtlesfav
Beginner

I am building a new PC. Nothing is done yet, just assembling parts.  I have an MSI Z590 pro WIFI motherboard LGA 1200, Intel Core i9-10900K, several WD HDD’s and Windows 10 Home edition.  I want to install Intel 670p Series M.2 2x80 512 GB PCIe Optane SSD. The MB supports Optane in its M.2 slot. What is the process for installing the Optane? Do I install Windows first or after?  Intel has two installation guides, one for Optane M10 and one for Optane H10. Which one is right for my 670p Optane SSD? Do I need to update the BIOS on the Z590 board for the Optane memory? I don’t know if the Optane SSD comes with a driver installation disk... I want to get the steps right the first time.  Thanks for your time, 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Intel 670p Series SSDs are NOT Optane SSDs. I am not sure where you got that idea. They are standard QLC NAND SSDs. They can be used in virtually any system that provides a M.2 Type M socket.

...S

Myrtlesfav
Beginner
Thanks for your help. I must have gotten confused when I tried to research a new Optane SSD. I’m trying to buy a newer model so that it will be supported for the longest time possible. Could someone direct me to an appropriate Optane SSD? I don’t want to boot from it. I just want to speed up my HDS’s. Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You probably have on mind Intel Optane M10 Series SSD? This is the Installation Guide for this SSD.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Optane M10 is not a SSD; it is a Optane Module. It is used to accelerate the performance of a SATA-based SSD or HDD.

...S

0 Kudos
Myrtlesfav
Beginner

So the 670p is only a SSD and will not speed up my HHD’s, right.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Myrtlesfav,

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

You are correct. As mentioned by the super users Leon and Scott, the Intel® SSD 670p Series is a storage device, and this SSD was not designed to accelerate a system or other storage devices.

The recommended hardware for that task will be the Optane memory family. Before purchasing or trying to set up any new hardware, please do a backup of your information and contact your motherboard manufacturer to check the BIOS settings beforehand.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 2nd of April 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Myrtlesfav,

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® SSD 670p Series. We would like to know if you need further assistance.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 6th of April 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Myrtlesfav,

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® SSD 670p Series.

Since we have not heard from you in a while, we are going to close this community thread.

If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread.

Best regards,

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos