Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane 16GB Abnormal Noises

JLloy8
Beginner

I bought a pre-built desktop a few months back, and have been having the issue for quite some time now, and it has been acknowledged by the company I purchased the computer from. For the past several times I have brought it in for stress tests and for them to duplicate the issue, they have been able to, but they believe it to be the HDD, and have replaced it three times now. I disconnected the Optane module for a week to test out my theory, and no sound. Today, I reconnected it, and the sound began again. I also see it is common for other users, so I wanted to know how I could go about resolving the issue, or perhaps replacing the module.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The optane module is not making the noise.

Doc

0 Kudos
JLloy8
Beginner

Sorry, I guess I should have been a bit clearer. I understand the module has no moving parts, and therefore, it technically cannot be making a noise, but I do believe it is causing other components (perhaps the HDD) to make noises that it should otherwise not be making.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JLloy8, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the Optane is connected. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • The model and manufacturer of your hard drives (in case you have more than one that is not connected to your system and you are experiencing the same issue). • If possible, please try another HDD or on another motherboard and let us know the results. Please take into consideration the following: • It may be possible that the HDD is damaged and making the noise after being paired with the module. We will be looking forward to your reply in order to further assist you. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JLloy8, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JLloy8, Thank you for your reply. Based on the information and the SSU logs that you shared with us, you are already accelerating your secondary HDD drive, it is set up properly and the Optane seems to be working as expected. Your concern regarding the noise that the drive is making at the moment of being linked to the Optane memory seems to be related to the HDD hardware and not to the Optane since it does not have mobile parts or produce noises. We advise you to contact the HDD manufacturer to check if this is the expected behavior from the drive or if a firmware update is necessary to correct this behavior. We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance. Have a nice day. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JLloy8, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JLloy8,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos