Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane 32Gb unknown error *BAD_CONTEXT_6001

TheTester4
Beginner

I have Intel Optane 32Gb with error *BAD_CONTEXT_6001

This error from log file "Intel MAS".

I try find abnormal results after can't update FirmWare. Into any varint of update (*.ISO, irrfu.exe, intelmas.exe etc. displayed message "please, contact to support").

With this error many command from IntelMAS.exe not work.

What is it this error? I can remove it itself?

!!! I only want know: What is it this error!!! No need warranty exchange !!!

!!! I must buy new SSD (other, with better support and lifetime, Samsung, for example), or can remove this error itself? !!!

This can see fragment *.LOG file from  IntelMAS.exe:

This example of error execution commands into IntelMAS.exe:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, TheTester4.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding this particular Bad Context error, and I will be reviewing this with you.

There are no details or information about the exact error code BAD_CONTEXT_6001, but generally speaking, a Bad Context state cannot be recovered.

The reason why the SSD entered into this state may vary and can't really be determined. It is possible the firmware running on the drive’s microcontroller reached a point that should not be possible to reach, an "unknown" state, so the drive is disabled and reports this Bad context or disable logical state message, possibly due to the usage or workload being applied to the drive.

There are no troubleshooting steps we can provide beyond attempting a firmware update (but your unit is already on the latest firmware version), or performing a secure erase, just to check if the drive responds, but the drive can be considered as completely defective.

Other details:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029142.html

Other tools to attempt secure erase:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on October 4th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, TheTester4.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding this particular Bad Context error, and I will be reviewing this with you.

There are no details or information about the exact error code BAD_CONTEXT_6001, but generally speaking, a Bad Context state cannot be recovered.

The reason why the SSD entered into this state may vary and can't really be determined. It is possible the firmware running on the drive’s microcontroller reached a point that should not be possible to reach, an "unknown" state, so the drive is disabled and reports this Bad context or disable logical state message, possibly due to the usage or workload being applied to the drive.

There are no troubleshooting steps we can provide beyond attempting a firmware update (but your unit is already on the latest firmware version), or performing a secure erase, just to check if the drive responds, but the drive can be considered as completely defective.

Other details:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029142.html

Other tools to attempt secure erase:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on October 4th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
TheTester4
Beginner

Thanks! I already found all, what you talk. I must try next variants:

Firmware update exist. My disc model: MEMPEK1W032GA, FW: K3110310

Exist firmware: for MEMPEK1J032GAD, FW: K4110440

...Now I try "FW update" or "Erase" this Optane with default "Microsoft NVME driver Win10", and on PC not designed for Optane (H77, Z68, C612, etc chipsets)...

Only this (Microsoft) driver started w/o any error with this half-dead Optane. Any other driver of NVME start with error "code 10 straring impossible" (this error about "device not use resources"). If I can find Intel NVME driver, started with this Optane, then I can try some IntelMas command, which not work now w/o error "Status: Selected drive is in a disable logical state"

This commands list:

intelmas create -intelssd 1 -namespace Size = 1000 LBAFormat = 0

Status : This feature cannot be run with the current driver.

intelmas start -intelssd 1 -nvmeformat

intelmas start -intelssd 1 -sanitize block

intelmas load -intelssd 1 FirmWareSlot = 1 CommitAction = 0
Status : Cannot directly specify commit action on MSFT NVMe driver.

Or with programm issdfut from *.ISO firmware update toll (based on Linux) if found manual for ALL COMMANDS. For use this utilite need Ctrl+C and then can use like this (programm work good, but so smal qantity commands I found, and all results about bad context and disabled logical state):

/usr/bin/issdfut -drive_index 0 -format

/usr/bin/issdfut -drive_index 0 -firmware_update NNNNN_signed._bin

...But now all this impossible. If you can say any crazy variant of resolve problem (like "short test points" or "unpack files from InstallOptane.exe") - a'm ready for ALL crazy exprement, and have tools for made this. But not have any new idea.

Too sad to lose a $90 device that doesn't have physical damages. And the probable cause of the malfunction is a bad power off.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, TheTester4.

The firmware K4110440 is designed for a different type of Optane Memory, what we call the Optane Memory M10, which is a different model with some slight improvements in endurance, temperature and power consumption; the latest firmware for the regular Optane Memory is K3110310

Regarding the tests and commands, I have no other comments beyond what I have already shared in my previous post.

What I'm not really really sure now is the type of usage this Optane Memory was given. Just in case, an Optane Memory is not designed to be used like a regular NVMe SSD, for example, to copy/paste or read/write files to, because this device is used in combination with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to accelerate a SATA device in a special form of caching or RAID configuration, but for what you mentioned it looked to me like it was being used as a regular NVMe SSD, which could possibly cause the Bad Context or disable logical state

Of course, I'm just assuming things, it's just a possibility.

If you have any other comments, please let me know, but if that is not the case, I will proceed to close the ticket on October 4th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, TheTester4.

This post is to inform you that we are closing this community thread regarding the SSD in Bad Context / Disable Logical State.

I previously shared that a drive in this state cannot be recovered and can be considered defective, and there are no additional details we can provide about this particular error besides what has already been shared in this ticket or the public article.

The thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos