Trying to get my Optane Memory to accelerate my secondary HDD. I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the Optane Memory App (18.104.22.1686) which was downloaded from the MB manufactures support pages. App successfully identifies my Memory, and the HDD. But errors out when I try to set it up with the following error code: 0xA0040002.
I've search through all of the support pages and can't find any reference to this error code so not sure how to resolve.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you want to accelerate your secondary HDD using Intel® Optane™ Memory.
Please notice that Intel Optane Memory will accelerate a SATA boot drive only. From the pictures provided, it seems the boot drive is an NVMe based device (Samsung 960 EVO*), which is not compatible with the memory module and explains the error message.
You can learn more about Intel Optane Memory requirements and features here:
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m... Overview and Requirements for Intel® Optane™ Memory
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m... Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory
Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.
Intel have released in the media that Intel Optane will now support secondary drives, not just the boot drive - this is even mentioned on thehttps://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html Intel® Optane™ Memory—Revolutionary Memory website:
If I install the version released on the Intel website: 22.214.171.1245 then I cannot pair with a secondary HDD
If I download the version released on my MB support page: 126.96.36.1996 then it will allow me to pair with a secondary data drive.
The software is correctly identifying the secondary HDD that I wish to have accelerated, and allowing me to select it to pair with the Optane memory module that I have installed. It is just erroring when I attempt to create the pairing. Can you please let me know what the error code 0x0040002 means.
Also when will Intel be officially releasing the 188.8.131.526 version to their website?
We apologize for the confusion. Our Intel Optane Memory documentation has been updated with information regarding acceleration of secondary drives. You can find more information here:
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory
In order to better assist you, please provide us with the following information and logs:
- What's the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Pre OS UEFI driver version? You can find this on the system BIOS.
- What's the partition table for the secondary drive to be accelerated? To find it, open Disk Management, right click on the secondary drive > Properties > Volumes > Partition style
- Intel® System Support Utility report.
1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... Download the latest Intel® SSU.
2. Select to include "everything."
3. Name and save the report.
- Intel Optane Memory logs located at C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Intel\Logs
Thanks for your reply. We're reviewing the case with our engineers.
We'll let you know as you as there updates.
EDIT: Cameron.Pascoe We noticed the secondary disk type is "Dynamic". Intel Optane Memory requires a "Basic" drive. Please check the following Microsoft* document with details on how to change a Dynamic disk to Basic. Please back up your data before doing so:
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-dynamic-disk-back-t... Change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk
NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.