Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory Service has extreme CPU usage!

MZimm13
Beginner

Hello, I have recently bought a HP Pavillion and the Intel Optane Memory Service seems to regularly cause my CPU usage to spike to the point where core temperatures are frequently exceeding 70C. Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MZimm13.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I reviewed the details you have provided regarding the Intel Optane service, I will be glad to assist you.

I cannot confirm if this behavior is normal in your computer or not, a really good option would be to check with HP if they have this information, depending on your system, a temperature of 70C sounds withing a normal functioning range, but again, it depends on your system.

How are you monitoring this activity or how did you determine this?, I can try to do the same depending on our available hardware, you can also provide me with a full system report using Intel SSU: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wxman
Beginner

I'm pretty sure I have the exact same problem as MZimm13. The Intel Optane memory service frequently uses ~30% CPU (checked using task manager) and the computer fan begins running very fast during these times.

I am using a new HP Pavilion running the latest version of Windows 10 and updated all of my Intel drivers to the latest version using the Intel driver support assistant. I ran the SSU report you mention above and attached the log here.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Wxman.

Good day,

Thank you for the information and the SSU.

In your case, it is expected for the CPU usage to increase when the optimization task is running, you can check the last section of the following article regarding the task schedule (in case you own a 32GB Optane Memory):

You may check this behavior with the laptop manufacturer or verify with them if it's necessary to disable the acceleration, remove the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and install the latest version of this software directly from their website, just to make sure it is set up properly (for this HP Pavilion - 15t-cs300 CTO).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
MZimm13
Beginner

Hello,

sorry for the late reply. Please find the SSU report attached.

Thanks

Max

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MZimm13.

That is not a problem, thank you for the SSU.

According to the processor installed in the system, the temperature you mentioned is still below the threshold (100C), so it seems to be fine: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196597/intel-core-i7-1065g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

The recommendations provided to Wxman also apply in your case, opening a ticket with the manufacturer if you want to confirm the behavior is normal, you may also set up the Optane Memory one more time with the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology from them.

In your case, there seems to also be a Windows update pending (maybe it will be applied soon) along with a possible BIOS update (current BIOS F3 from August 2019 and the latest F5 from January 2020), but it would be better to verify with the manufacturer if this is correct and really necessary.

Let me know if you have other questions and I can be of assistance.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MZimm13.

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if you have additional questions.

Let me know if I can be of assistance or if you would like to close the ticket.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MZimm13.

This message is just to follow up to check if you have any other questions.

I will proceed to close the thread for now, but you can re-open it by replying to this post.

If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos