Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane Only for HDD storage

BS4
Beginner

Hello. I am writing to you to make sure I am in the wrong.

I've bought Intel Optane ver. 32GB M2 for my storage. Main Disk for OS is Samsung Evo 960 M2 and storage WD Black Raid0 2x2TB. Unfortunately i cannot use my Optane for HDD RAID0 'casue it is not suported. I'd buy new disk, singe-one HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400 4TB. I know that those disks have a support for optane but i have to make sure.

Can I use this Optane ONLY for accelerate HDD disk (single-one) (games, data, ect.)?

Recently I've done everything what I could to run this Optane but I find out a not supported RAID0.

I've changed all of partiton to GPT (OS).

I've turned on a only UEFI support BIOS.

I've added a non-allocated partitionon both disks. (above 100MB)

I've installed newst RST.

I have 8700k CPU.

Tell me, when i buy new disk and i will copy all of date from raid to new hdd, optane begin working ?

I used to this site: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Detnith,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Yes, you can accelerate a secondary drive in your system as long as the system meets the requirements.

The requirements for secondary drive acceleration are available in the article that you shared: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html?_ga=2.257165003.1989526768.1541434559-1716436649.1536075640 Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

Please make sure your system meets the requirements, otherwise secondary drive acceleration won't be possible.

I also recommend you to check the following guide in order to know how you should setup your system and the system drive for the module to work properly: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.251011718.1086953970.1541434635-1716436649.1536075640 Installation Guide for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Regarding to the RAID support, you are right. Intel® Optane™ Memory doesn't support RAID acceleration, that's why you get the non-supported RAID0 message.

I hope this information clarified your concern. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Detnith,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Yes, you can accelerate a secondary drive in your system as long as the system meets the requirements.

The requirements for secondary drive acceleration are available in the article that you shared: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html?_ga=2.257165003.1989526768.1541434559-1716436649.1536075640 Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

Please make sure your system meets the requirements, otherwise secondary drive acceleration won't be possible.

I also recommend you to check the following guide in order to know how you should setup your system and the system drive for the module to work properly: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.251011718.1086953970.1541434635-1716436649.1536075640 Installation Guide for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Regarding to the RAID support, you are right. Intel® Optane™ Memory doesn't support RAID acceleration, that's why you get the non-supported RAID0 message.

I hope this information clarified your concern. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Detnith,

I'd like to know if the information above answered your concerns, or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
BS4
Beginner

Hello.

IT is working now.

I've bought a New HDD Seagate Baracuda and Intel Optane Working on RST.

I have only one question. It is a difference between RTS a normal Optane Driver ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Detnith,

It's great everything is working fine.

Regarding to the RST drivers for Intel® Optane™ Memory, both applications: the Intel® Optane™ Memory application and the Intel® RST application include the same driver for the module, so there is no difference between them regarding to this topic, however the Intel® RST application is intended for other tasks in RAID arrays that are not required for the Intel® Optane™ Memory, although it's still possible to use it for the module and to manage it.

The Intel® Optane™ application on the other hand, was developed specifically for the module and it doesn't include the features and functions for RAID arrays as the Intel® RST application does.

I hope this clarifies your concern. From the Intel® Optane™ Memory perspective, both applications are equivalent and can be used with the module.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
BS4
Beginner

Ok so In general if u do not using other RAID arrays is recommended to use Optane driver and I gonna do that.

Overall thankyou for explanation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Detnith,

You can use both.

My recommendation is that if you already have the module working with the Intel® RST application, then you can still using it to manage the module.

If you would like to switch to the other application, then make sure to disable the module first from the application, uninstall the application and then install the other one so you can enable the module again using that one.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos