Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel Optane help

DFH02
Beginner
Hi, recently my HDD gave up so I replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 2.5 HDD. I am using an acer nitro 5 laptop (AN515-52) and I hate to fresh install Windows, is it possible to get the intel rapid storage software back and re enable intel optane?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So the sum total for storage in your laptop is the Optane Module and the HDD? What did you do when the original HDD died? Did you simply replace it and start installing Windows 10?

Presuming this is the case, did you remember to ensure that a small (10MB) area at the end of the drive is unused by any partition and available for the Optane module? If not, then the Optane module, even after clearing its cache, will not enable. You must leave some space for the Optane module to use.

If you let the Windows 10 installer choose how to partition the  HDD, then it will have located the recovery partition at the end of the drive. You need to either delete this recovery partition or shrink it by 10MB.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So the sum total for storage in your laptop is the Optane Module and the HDD? What did you do when the original HDD died? Did you simply replace it and start installing Windows 10?

Presuming this is the case, did you remember to ensure that a small (10MB) area at the end of the drive is unused by any partition and available for the Optane module? If not, then the Optane module, even after clearing its cache, will not enable. You must leave some space for the Optane module to use.

If you let the Windows 10 installer choose how to partition the  HDD, then it will have located the recovery partition at the end of the drive. You need to either delete this recovery partition or shrink it by 10MB.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DFH02
Beginner
Hi Scott, you were correct in your presumption, I did as you said and it allows me to enable optane thank you ever so much
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're welcome. Glad we could resolve it!

…S

0 Kudos