Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel Optane memory

Bertus
Beginner

Good day

I have bought a HP i5 laptop with 8Gb memory and a 1TB HDD. For some reason it is very slow and I fixed similar issues on my previous laptops by removing the HDD and replacing it with a SSD. Unfortunately this laptop do not want to read the SSD, and therefore I can not install windows on it. I have a 32Gb Optane memory installed in my PC, that I can easily remove and install in the laptop. 

The problem is that the laptop does not have a M.2 slot either. It does have a USB-C3.1 port. I am wondering that if I install the Optane memory in an external M.2 casing and connect it to the USB-C port, if it will accelerate the HDD inside the laptop or not?

If anyone have a thought on this, can you please share.

Regards

Bertus 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Bertus.

Good day,

This post is to let you know that we are closing your support thread since there has been no confirmation about further assistance being required.

I previously mentioned that the use of external adapters, enclosures or cards is not validated/supported, and the Optane may just be recognized as a regular storage unit, and also recommended to check with the system manufacturer the reason why your SSD was not being recognized for this particular upgrade you are attempting.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread or contact us back via any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Bertus.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I received your thread about using the Intel Optane Memory module externally, I will be glad to assist you.

The use of adapters, extenders or enclosures is not validated/supported by us, and not only this, but you also have to consider that the motherboard must be "Optane ready" with an available and compatible M.2 port, and such port also requires other BIOS adjustments (for example: PCIe remapping and PCIe port marked RST controlled), so it is not possible to use it for acceleration even if it gets recognized as external storage.

I'm not sure if you already tried this, but I would recommend checking with the system manufacturer (HP) if they can help you determine the reason why the HDD is recognized but the SSD is not.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know, I will follow up on October 8th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Bertus
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

It seems like there is a Nvme port on the mother board of the laptop. It might be best to simply by an Nvme SSD instead. 

Out of curiosity, the M.2 Optane wouldn't perhaps be compatible with the Nvme port?

Regards

Bertus

BrusC_Intel

Hello, Bertus.

Good day,

If you have the option to purchase that type of SSD, this could be the way to go.

Regarding the Optane, if you have some type of PCIe adapter or expansion card for M.2 drives, it is possible that the Optane Memory drive will be recognized, but not used for HDD/SSD acceleration since the system is not Optane Memory ready, and we don't really perform this type of validation or tests.

If I can try to assist you with anything else, please let me know, I will follow up on October 11th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

BrusC_Intel

Hello, Bertus.

Good day,

This post is to follow up on your thread in case you have other questions.

I will close the case on October 14th if further assistance is not required, but you can let me know if you would like to keep it open a bit longer.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

BrusC_Intel

Hello, Bertus.

Good day,

This post is to let you know that we are closing your support thread since there has been no confirmation about further assistance being required.

I previously mentioned that the use of external adapters, enclosures or cards is not validated/supported, and the Optane may just be recognized as a regular storage unit, and also recommended to check with the system manufacturer the reason why your SSD was not being recognized for this particular upgrade you are attempting.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread or contact us back via any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.