Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane not detected please help

FAde1
Beginner

Hello, I recently bought a Intel Optane 32GB SSD and have it installed. As for my Hard Drive I used MBT2GPT.exe to convert my HDD to GPT so I can boot Intel RST w/ UEFI and CSM Disabled.

After I have done these steps I have installed the Intel Optane Memory driver. Once the driver has been installed, the Setup tab says the following: "X No compatible disks for Intel Optane memory" although, the Device Manager is detecting the device as "INTEL MEMPEK1W032GA".

What am I missing?

Specs:

MB: ASUS B250M PRO4

CPU: Intel i7 7700k

GPU: MSI GTX 1070TI

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What SATA Mode did you select in the BIOS? If you picked AHCI or RAID, the Optane module is not going to work.

...S

0 Kudos
FAde1
Beginner

My BIOS is currently in AHCI mode, What mode should I run it then?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There should be a third mode - RST. That is the one you want.

Now, caution. You may have to reinstall the OS. So, make sure you have a backup of your data.

Doc

0 Kudos
FAde1
Beginner

It's still not detecting my Optane after I booted with Intel RST mode.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Shutdown, remove the battery, unplug the power supply, grab yourself a beverage of your choice.

Time passes (about 20 minutes)

Put the battery back in, plug the power supply back in, Boot to the bios and make sure RST is selected.

At this point, you should be able to see the optane.

Doc

0 Kudos
FAde1
Beginner

It's still not detecting my Optane as a compatible disk.

The steps I've taken to get this far are:

1. Purchased a new motherboard with intel Optane 32GB and i7700k Processor (HDD not formated yet...)

-The PC ran fine after assembly

-Downloaded Optane driver (Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration)

-I encountered some errors regarding the HDD so I reinstalled windows. (I did this via windows Settings>Recovery>Reset This PC Erased Everything. Although It did not give me the option to choose with HDD I can install windows in.)

2. Converted my HDD, the one I have windows installed, from MBR to GPT via cmd>mbr2gpt.exe.

-I did this because I was encountering errors with BIOS settings with the Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration installation

-Conversion successful

-Doing this allows me to boot Windows with Intel RTS

3. For the third time, I installed the Driver again.

-The driver installation was successful

-But it does not detect my Intel Optane as a compatible disk.

(Other things I noticed and did while I was going around this ordeal)

-The Intel Optane was an option to boot up my computer.

-When in Intel RTS mode, the BIOS was not detecting my Optane

-Because of that I also converted my Optane to GPT via cmd>mbr2gpt.exe

These are the steps I've taken so far to get this far

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then, I would contact the motherboard manufacturer for assistance in getting past this point.

Doc

0 Kudos
FAde1
Beginner

Well, this is a little embarrassing.

Before I called my motherboard manufacturer, I looked at my Mobo's manual one last time. There are two m.2 slots: M.2.1 and M.2.2

I didn't realize that the m.2.1 was for m.2 modules 6gb or less while the 2.2 was for 32gb.

I fixed my issue because of a simple installation mistake, sorry for wasting your time haha! But also thank you for your replies!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it solved. Your checking the board is very worthwhile for those with a similar problem. My experience with the NUC is as far as I could go.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi franz13ade,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities and for sharing how you fixed the issue.

A similar thing happened with this other user where we went through all the configuration at BIOS and OS level, but it turned out that the module was not connected in the correct port, so changing the port fixed the issue:

If you have further questions about the Intel® Optane™ Memory, feel free to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos