Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel optane memory stuck on preparing system

Jowi345
Beginner

It's been stuck for almost half an hour, with nothing on it. I have restart app few times but still nothing. And I got that Intel optane degrading problem too, so I want to disable it, but I cant do anything. Help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Provide some information.

Motherboard/system model number

OS version

Processor model number

If you can, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Jowi345
Beginner

Its this one right?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Jowi345,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support related to your Acer* Aspire A514-53 and the Intel® Optane H10 configuration. If we inferred correctly, please, review and provide us with the following information:

1- Based on the SSU logs you provided us, your system is currently in BIOS Mode: Legacy. It needs to be set to a different BIOS mode, and it may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

We advise you to contact Acer* to get further assistance to modify your BIOS configuration without losing any data.

2- We would like to know if your Intel® Optane H10 came preinstalled with your PC?

3- We would appreciate a screenshot of the: Disk Management showing all the storage devices.

To access the disk manager, you can choose from the following two ways:

# 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu.

- Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open the Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

# 2: Access Disk Management via Run.

- Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box, and tap OK.

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 3rd of February 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jowi345
Beginner

Answer to the questions :

1. If I could modify it, what should I do with it? And what for what purpose? Thanks

2. Yes it came preinstalled

3. Here you go

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Jowi345,

Thank you for your reply.

Let me add the following information to my previous answer to clarify more why your BIOS needs to be on a different mode to use your Intel® Optane H10:

Based on the article How to Enable Intel® Optane™ Memory if BIOS Is Set to Legacy Mode:

* Note: This process may cause data issues. Back up your data before following this process.

BIOS set in Legacy Mode means the partition style of the OS drive is set in MBR format, which is not compatible with Intel® Optane™ memory. When the SATA controller mode in BIOS is changed to Intel® RST Premium with Intel® Optane™ System Acceleration (RAID) without converting the partition style, the system will have booting issues. To convert the partition style from MBR to GPT follow these steps: 

1. Back up all files on your system.
  2. Convert the partition table from MBR to GPT using the Windows* tool MBR2GPT.exe. Make sure that you have the latest Windows® 10 updates installed. 
    1. Open Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
    2. Issue the following command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS
  3. When the process is complete, restart the system and go into BIOS.
  4. Within BIOS, set the SATA Mode Selection to Intel RST Premium with Intel® Optane™ System Acceleration (RAID). Note:  The BIOS options may vary by vendor, below are suggested steps that may apply to your system BIOS. For specific BIOS navigation options, contact the system manufacturer.
    1. Within BIOS, press F7 to go to the Advanced Mode
    2. Go to Boot\CMS (Compatibility Support Module) and make sure this option is disabled. 
    3. Go to Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration and check the SATA Mode Selection is set to Intel RST Premium with Intel® Optane™ System Acceleration (RAID).
    4. Press F10 to save changes and restart. 

The system should be able to boot now into the OS after the BIOS changes. Continue with the enablement process of the Intel® Optane™ memory from the OS.

-As per the screenshot you shared, your Optane H10 is disk 1, and disk 0 seems to be another storage device depending on the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) hardware limitations, this may affect your Optane configuration. Please consult with the OEM

-Based on the information you provided us, your Intel® Optane H10 came preinstalled, and there may be some BIOS and hardware configuration that seems to be the cause of the issue you are experiencing. We advise you to contact Acer* to get assistance.

We will not close this thread, and you can still post and share your findings with the community. If you need assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us by opening a new thread, and please submit a new question. We will no longer monitor this thread.

We hope fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos