Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel optane memory

Omota3
Beginner

I removed my optane memory before properly removing it and my laptop is not starting up correctly. When I put in the optane memory back in the laptop would not start up properly either. The startup options are troubleshoot and turn off your pc. I am having difficulties in starting it back up correctly as I still have files I want to transfer over to my new laptop. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Omota3.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket about the system not being able to boot after removing the Optane Memory, I will be glad to assist you.

As you mentioned, the Optane acceleration needs to be disabled before removing the Optane Memory from the system since this drive is paired with the other SSD in order to accelerate it.

There are no official methods to recover the drive; if you performed no changes in the system, you should be able to connect the Optane Memory back into the system in order for the OS to boot normally, are you aware of any UEFI/BIOS changes taking place prior installing the Optane Memory back? If so, revert them and try again.

I would try to boot the system in "safe mode", for this you will have to get back to the screen you mentioned (his usually happens automatically after the boot process fails 2 or 3 times) and do the following:

1. Click Troubleshoot Advanced Option > Startup Settings > Restart

2. The computer should boot into a blue screen with several options

3. Select option 5 "Safe mode with net working"

Note: This is the one I usually use, if the system is able to boot, you should be able to transfer the files.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Omota3
Beginner

I appreciate the feedback but I am not given the option of startup settings> restart

I am currently given the options of startup repair, UEFI Firmware Settings, Command Prompt. System Restore, Uninstall Updates, and System Image Recovery. These options are within the Troubleshoot tab and the other tab is Turn off you PC.

(System Restore and System Image Recovery do  not work ) 

Once again I appreciate the feedback, the laptop I am still trying to recover files to move over and save.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Omota3.

There may be other methods to access this, I think during a Windows installation you can chose "Repair" instead of "Install" and it should take to to that menu, but at this point since the option is missing, the best course of action would be contacting Microsoft for other methods to access or enable it, the main issue related to them is trying to boot into safe mode.

Bruce C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Omota3.

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if I can offer you additional assistance.

Let me know if you contacted Microsoft regarding the missing option to boot into safe mode or in case you tried anything else.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Omota3.

Good day,

This message is to follow up on your ticket to check if I can offer you additional assistance.

I previously mentioned the possibility of checking with Microsoft regarding the missing option to boot into safe mode to try to recover the information and I wanted to check if I could offer additional assistance.

The thread will be closed right now since there has been no confirmation, if you require further assistance, please open a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored, or you may also contact us via any other the other available contact methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos