Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Is my pc using optane memory?

JMaso16
Beginner

i opened up my laptop expecting to find an empty m.2 slot since my model has such a slot and I do not have an ssd installed. Inside I found the m.2 slot had a 16gb intel optane memory card, when removed, windows will not boot. I wanted to install an ssd so I looked up how to remove the optane card and still be able to boot windows and it tells me to find my intel rapid storage technology app and disable it. The problem is I don’t have this app, I can search all I want I can’t find any such application to open. So really what id like to know is

1.) is my pc using this intel rapid storage tech with my hdd?

2.) If it is using the rapid storage tech, is it worth it to install an ssd?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The Intel Optane Memory application or the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, if installed, you should see in Windows Strat Menu under "Intel", rather than on Task Bar. However, if you have uninstalled it without disabling Optane first, you are in problem now.
  2. See the attached video, I've prepared for you, showing the Optane Memory Application. For the Intel Rapid Storage, it is similar, it has a tab with Optane function.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Open Start Menu under letter "I", Intel, look for "Intel Optane memory". Run it and you may disable Optane Enablement. You will be requested and reboot your PC. After reboot, you will get confirmation that Optane is disabled or, run Optane memory Application again and verify that Optane is disabled. Now you may remove the Optane Module and your PC should boot. See here how this Optane Memory Module looks: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Optane-Memory-Module-MEMPEK1W016GAXT/dp/B07CGYTXQK
  2. If it is using the rapid storage tech, is it worth it to install an ssd? I personally prefer modern NVMe SSD than Optane memory. In my opinion, system with Optane is less reliable, more difficult for backup that system without Optane acceleration (however this is only my opinion). You may use 250- 500GB NVMe SSD and install your Windows and all other programs on it (for example https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MG119KG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28RLXQY4G891B&keywords=samsung%2B970%2Bevo&qid=1577612717&sprefix=samsung%2B970%2Caps%2C289&sr=8-2&th=1). On the HDD you have, you may still save your data files (documents, pictures, video,...).
  3. One important comment. After disabling Optane memory, your SATA Mode settings in BIOS, remains "Intel RST with Optane". If you want to change the SATA mode to AHCI, you should enter Bios only after changing Windows Boot mode to SAFE. After changing the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI, you will see warning that your O.S. may be corrupted. Disregard this warning and continue in SAFE boot mode to Windows. Once in Windows, you may again change the boot mode from SAFE to Normal.

Leon

0 Kudos
JMaso16
Beginner

When I search “I” in the windows bar, there is no option for intel optane memory or rapid storage tech or anything, only intel graphics shows up. Yesterday I made the mistake of downloading intel optane software off this website and tried to disable it, which bluescreened my computer and made me reset my bios and a few other things to fix. It seems like if I don’t have the software installed, I should be able to remove the card with no issue but I can’t.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The Intel Optane Memory application or the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, if installed, you should see in Windows Strat Menu under "Intel", rather than on Task Bar. However, if you have uninstalled it without disabling Optane first, you are in problem now.
  2. See the attached video, I've prepared for you, showing the Optane Memory Application. For the Intel Rapid Storage, it is similar, it has a tab with Optane function.

Leon

0 Kudos