Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Latest Intel RST driver included in next Windows 10?

RRobe5
New Contributor I

QUESTION 1:

"The Intel RST driver shipped with the Windows* OS

image does not support Intel Optane Memory by

default."

I read about inserting it into an ISO but that's

too complicated for me to handle....so when Windows

10 is updated this fall will Microsoft include the

new RST driver in that new version of Windows

operating system either by upgrading or doing a

clean install?

QUESTION 2:

Is it possible to use Macrium Reflect to make a

backup image of an Optane accelerated Windows 10

hard drive. Perhaps by disabling Optane first,

creating the image then re-enabling Optane?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

The only reason to insert the Optane™ Ready RST driver into your OS image is so that this will be included in your recovery partition. This is an extra step and is not required for you to accelerate your system. If you already have Windows* installed you only need to install the latest RST or Optane™ software by following the instructions on the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000023845.html How to Upgrade, Install, and Manage Intel® Optane™ Memory in Windows® 10 Basic Video.

When a new mayor update of Windows* is released, your system does an in-place upgrade. Meaning whichever version of RST is currently installed will stay in your system.

As for your second question, you're correct. To migrate your current Windows® 10 image to a different drive you will need to first disable (or "deconcatenate") your Intel® Optane™ Memory, reboot, clone your drive, then re-enable your Optane™ Memory.

We hope this answered your questions. Feel free to let us know if you have any additional doubts or concerns.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos A:

Thanks for your reply. I am concerned about the reliability of an Optane enabled system. I already have ordered a 32 GB module and expect it Wednesday but have the following reservations. If I understand it correctly, Windows 10 restore points will no longer be an option; Windows 10 Recovery options will no longer work without the addition of the RST to a Win10 ISO of and then re-install the O.S.; defragmenting the mechanical hard drive is no longer an option with Optane installed.

In the event of an unfixable malware problem or Windows 10 update failure, it sounds like re-installing the operating system will be needed instead of simply rolling back to a previous known good state or using the built-in Windows Recovery option. I have read every single word about Intel Optane and find the instructions on how to add the Optane RST to an ISO prior to installing requires computer skills too difficult. Surely each time Microsoft puts out it's proposed twice a year upgrade of Windows 10 they will be creating a new ISO for clean installs. Thus, my question is still not answered....will Intel provide and Microsoft include the Optane RST in the new ISO or is it impossible to have it added without messing up computer installations that do not use Optane?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

We understand your concern. Because of this we do recommend performing the "advanced" installation and adding the driver to your OS image.

Please bear in mind that while adding the latest RST driver to your Windows* image does sound intimidating as there is quite a bit of command prompt going on, the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf Installation Guide includes the step-by-step necessary to do so even without a technical background. There are no "assumed" steps, you simply need to follow the guide and will be able to copy and paste most of the commands. The only downside being that you do indeed need to reinstall your operating system.

We will check with our additional resources to find out when Microsoft* will begin including an Optane™ ready RST version with their OS image. Stay tuned.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi again Carlos A:

Thanks for your response. With Microsoft upgrading Windows 10 twice a year now, I prefer to do a clean installation of the latest upgraded O.S. each time. As you can imagine, the steps required to manually add the Optane RST to a downloaded copy of the ISO can be quite daunting to go through twice a year for a septuagenarian+ The new PC I just built for the Optane set-up is the 26th PC I have built and programmed for myself and a few unlucky friends but I'm just not sure I can follow those instructions all the way through without getting mixed up! I think for now I'll just have to get by without Windows Recovery tools and hope Microsoft and Intel can get the necessary Optane RST software included by the time the Fall Creator's upgrade comes around. Will it be possible to disable Optane and then defrag the mechanical HHD once in a while or is defragging permanently disabled as soon as the Optane RST is installed? I also like to use "Disk Cleanup" to remove many GBs of unneeded files occasionally and haven't heard if that is disabled with the Optane SW installed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

It's easy to see how performing those steps over and over would get quite bothersome. We've sent a few emails and pinged some people to find out if the next Windows® 10 release will include an Optane™ Ready RST driver, or at least when this may happen. As soon as we receive a response we'll pass it on to you.

As far as optimization goes, do keep in mind that the RST software already handles optimization of volumes by default. Optane™ Memory works by creating a special volume between itself and your boot drive, so it will be taken care of. However, if you want to actually defragment your HDD, you would need to disable your Optane™ Memory, reboot, defrag, then re-enable Optane™.

Disk Cleanup on the other hand works perfectly with your Optane™ Memory. To be 100% sure, we went over to our lab and tried it out. It removed all of our junk files fast and without complaints.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos A:

THANK YOU for your answers! I appreciate you taking the time to clarify my questions about Intel's Optane implementation and feel reassured that I will be happy with my new "Optane Enabled PC". The hardware is virtually the exact same as the PC's that Intel sent out to the top tech review websites and I was impressed with their findings and am looking forward to this Wednesday when I will be installing the Optane memory module.

I will check back on this website to find out if Intel/Microsoft will be including the Optane RST drivers in their ISOs in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

We're always glad to help. Hopefully we can get that answer for you soon.

If you have any new questions in the mean time, don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos A:

Just wanted to let you know that I have successfully completed the installation and enabling of a 32GB Intel Optane Memory Module and have one word to say about it: WOW!

I've only been using it for an hour and can easily see that it is a TREMENDOUS improvement over my WD Black 1TB HDD and actally better than when I temporarily was using an Intel 180GB SATA SSD and similar to the results when I temporarilly used an Intel 600p 256GB NVMe SSD....actually felt more responsive than the NVMe SSD for many of my normal daily computer activities. THANKS AGAIN for your help. Window snips show the early results:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

That's awesome news! We're glad you're happy with Optane™.

Quick tip, since Optane™ Memory focuses on usage, you may need to run the benchmarking test at least 3 times in order to get more accurate results. And yet, you're getting great numbers as it is.

We sent some follow up emails, but we're still waiting on confirmation regarding your remaining question.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

At this point we're able to confirm that our development team is working with Microsoft* to have an Optane™ Ready RST driver included with a future Windows® 10 release. However, it's still too early for us to be able to commit to any type of timeline as to when this will be actually implemented.

I'm aware this may not be much, but it's as much confirmation as I was able to get.

We hope this helps set your mind at ease. If you have any more questions or concerns, do let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos:

I appreciate you following up on the status of the Optane Ready RST inclusion in future Windows 10 versions. Hopefully it'll be this fall but only time will tell.

0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

G'day Intel,

Just wondering too... Any news on this officially yet as the next major Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due in the next 20-35 days?

If it's not included will it affect those of us who update the PC via ISO or Windows Update?

Will it only affect those willing or needing the clean install the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

Can Intel Optane 16GB and 32GB modules remain activated (in-use) during and upgrade?

What is the recommended procedures (are they being published) and has enough been done yet to avoid potential mayhem?

Is the issue being escalated with Microsoft and your departments so that we have some definitive answers for those Optane Enabled users?

Looking forward to a complete answer and resolve to this ongoing high priority issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

This only creates issues when accessing the Windows* pre-boot recovery environment. We've received no reports of issues when updating from Aniversary to Creators Update, for example.

To err on the safe side, one could disable system acceleration, then re-enable the Optane™ Memory once the update process has been completed. Although this should not be necessary.

We will check on your questions and post back once we have confirmed our answers.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi BigBrother:

I can confirm what Carlos says about updating an Intel Optane accelerated operating system. Due to an unrelated activation problem after moving the operating system to a new Enterprise mechanical hard drive, Microsoft had me download the latest Windows 10 ISO of and install it as an update retaining programs and files and it worked just fine with Optane enabled and activated properly with a new activation key Microsoft provided me.

Like you though, I sure hope that Microsoft can quickly include the Optane RST drivers in their next ISO so users can make use of all the features offered with Windows 10......especially the convenient Recovery features.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

We're currently assessing the process to update the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver in the Native Windows* Image for future product releases. We are continuously working to enhance customer satisfaction and product support. When we have more information we will provide an update.

As confirmed by @newnerd and our past experiences, there should be no issues during the in-place upgrade process used to upgrade to a newer build. However, to err on the safe side we can suggest disabling system acceleration before the process begins, then re-enabling your Optane™ Memory afterwards (although this is not required).

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos:

Well, the Fall Creator's Update will become available in a couple hours and I am still wondering if it incorporates the latest Optane RST driver. If it does I will do a clean install of the Fall Creator's Update, if it isn't included I'll probably just let Windows Update automatically. If it is included, are there any special steps I need to take to be sure everything works right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello newnerd,

Microsoft* will not be including an Optane-Ready RST driver in the Fall Creator's Update.

Our recommendation, as always, is to make sure any important information is backed up. However, performing the standard in-place upgrade should not result in any issues.

If you'd like to be "extra-careful," you may disable system acceleration with Optane™ Memory, then enable it back after the upgrade. However, this is not required unless you're performing a clean installation of the OS.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos