Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1347 Discussions

Non-stop disk (Optane optimizing?) activity

DBrod2
Beginner

I have a 32GB Optane Memory attached in RST to a 6TB HDD that contains nothing but photos (it is a secondary drive). I have this installed on Windows 10 with the latest version of RST installed.

I installed the Optane a few months ago and it seems to be working fine. Recently though, I've noticed that my HDD activity is almost continuously active - even when I'm not accessing the drive. I went as far as to tell Windows to stop indexing that drive for search, etc to figure out why the drive was always active.

I've come to the conclusion (perhaps erroneously) that Optane is struggling to optimize itself with the contents of my drive. To be clear, I would make no changes to the drive and I would observe HDD activity non-stop almost continuously (hours and hours, day after day - even with no changes to the drive by me). My expectation would be that Optane would access the drive and optimize periodically. Out of concern for the lifespan of my drive and Optane I've disabled the Optane module. Since doing that my drive is no longer continuously active.

Any thoughts on what might be going on and what I could do to diagnose this further?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

There is other option to check the Activity on your HDD: open Task Manager ,click on Performance tab and then on Open Resource Monitor (in the bottom). Using the Resource Monitor, you may check the Disk Activity (see the attached image).

Leon

DiskActivity.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DBrod2
Beginner

Hi Josh,

I think I've resolved each of my questions. Thanks your your and everyone else's help that answered.

Damon

0 Kudos